Thread: '96 Chevy Vortec Powered RX-7

Hybrid View

corvettejohn86 Guest

Question '96 Chevy Vortec Powered RX-7

Hi,

I have a '85 Mazda RX-7 GS with a '96 Chevy 355cid. Vortec engine, 461hp., 481ft.lbs. running a Isky Roller cam,Elderbrock Dual Quad set-up in Enderashine and a K&N SERIES"66" Dual Quad Polished Aircleaner set-up( Under a HARWOOD aero-scoop),with JetHot coated Custom made,Tuned,Long tube headers. They have 1 7/8" primaries,and 2 1/2" collecters. I purchased a stainless "X" pipe and stainless pipe for a dual set-up,with dual 4" Polished S/C Elite mufflers.
    I was wondering how many discs I should run and if I should run open or closed endcaps? (Sound isn't a problem) I want MAX. performance!!
    My power band is idle-6500rpms. Car will be mainly for street/strip,and for show. However, I do plan to race it in the," SILVER STATE CLASSIC", next year.
    I also plan to make my HARWOOD removable and run a HILBORN style scoop in good weather with (2)K&N 6.375" aircleaners.
    I also wanted to know if I could run your (402-1000) "STAR" endcaps over the endcaps that come with the mufflers(For Looks)?

Thanks,
    John

bschultz Guest

I would start out running the 12 discs that come with the mufflers. I would pick up at least a 12 pack of discs and/or the open end caps for addtional flow which you will most likely need.

corvettejohn86 Guest

Thumbs up '96 Chevy Vortec Powered RX-7

Thanks bschultz. I have ordered the,"STAR" open endcaps and will put a order in for a 12 disc pack. Do I need to run a HEAT SHIELD behind the ,"STAR" endcaps? Will the heat shield block any of the exhaust?

Thanks,
    John

bschultz Guest

You can use the closed end-cap in conjunction with the "Star" end-cap or with out as an open end-cap.