Thread: Supertrapp for '08 Suzuki Hayabusa ?

jason1spice Guest

Default Supertrapp for '08 Suzuki Hayabusa ?

Hello,
    new to the site but not to Supertrapps.
    Recently got my hands on a '08 Suzuki Hayabusa (1340cc)
    and love it but it needs the exhaust done. The midpipe is 1.65"O.D. so I'll make the spacers to take up the slack.
    Any recommendations on the 4" or 5" disk series ? open or closed end cap and how many to work with as a starting point? I will be running a power commander PC3 and K&N filter. Any suggestions would be great. I'm doing supertrapps since few people use 'em around here (Green Bay, Wi) and they are nicely tunable. No systems are available for the Hayabusa so that's why I'm looking for help on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Cheers,
    J.

bschultz Guest

The 4" Universals should be more than sufficient unless you plan on major mods in the future, like a turbo, then you may want to consider a 5". Most of the Universal mufflers come with 12 discs and a closed end cap, which may be enough for a stock machine. More discs may be needed to take full advantage of the PC3 & K&N, additional discs can be purchased in 6 & 12 packs. The open end cap can be used if more sound is desired or you want to use less discs (on the 4" units the open end cap flows for 10-12 discs).

Jason,

Sounds like you're doing a dual exhaust setup based on the mid-pipe O.D. Like Bshultz recommends, the 4" should be more than sufficient. <== He's the guru after all, but I'll second his recommendation. While you're checking out which universal Supertrapp to use, be sure that the model you're selecting has the ability to mount up to your rearset bolts, i.e. long enough to reach and still look like it's designed to match with your bike.

My (899cc) ZX-9R runs the 13"x4"x2.5" aluminum racing series closed end-cap slip-on with 9 of 12 discs in a 4 into 1 setup. I'm the only sportbike I've personally seen with my setup and I'm the only sportbike taking everyone to the tool shed in combination speed and distance runs. I wouldn't trade my Supertrapp for anything else out there. However, based on a prior ZX-1000's dual aluminum racing series setup, my personal preference would be the superlight stainless enclosed disc system. This pictured dual Muzzy may give you an idea of what that will look like.

I love hearing other sportbikers going the Supertrapp route. Post back with pics and results when you get her dialed in. And careful with the throttle when you do.

jason1spice Guest

Default supertrapps on a 'Busa

Hey guys, thanks much for the info.
    I was already leaning towards the Universal dual 4" setup and now am considering the light stainless as well. I have a place picked out that can do the dyno work, hopefully it won't take long.

I'll post pics, video, and dyno data as soon as the setup is complete.

Thanks again for your suggestions. They confirmed what direction I was leaning to.

One more question though, which stainless systems are the lightest? The superlight stainless or the external disc (S/C Elite) in aluminum???

Cheers,
    J.

'02 Buell Cyclone
    '99 Buell engined Sportster Cafe' (for sale on carsoup)
    '98 1450cc Sportster sleeper
    '08 Suzi Hayabusa (not stock for long)
    '05 West Coast Chopper CFL (in progress)

PS - no worries on the throttle hand, I haven't had too many instances of "having a tall glass of stupid" once I got used to the 'Busa.
    Yes, it's fast, yes, it's smooth, and yes...can be stinky scary if not handled well. It's considerably heavier than my Buell so the power is alot more tractable and very linear; kinda like an electric motor as an engine...just smooth power and not peaky in any way.
    Last edited by jason1spice; 09-12-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: adding more info