Thread: 02 Roadstar Warrior - 12 disks - black & sooty

02Warrior Guest

Default 02 Roadstar Warrior - 12 disks - black & sooty

I have a 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior with a Barron's big air kit, PCIII, V&H 2 into 1 pro pipe, and supertrapp with 12 disks. I take the discs and end cap off every now and then (love the core flow sound!) and they are always very black and sooty.
    I did read the FAQ and noted it states "Black or sooty discs are indicative of a rich, or oil burning condition (add one or two discs)"
    Will adding just one or two discs really help? Am I considering buying some more but unsure how many I should try to improve the black/sooty condition. Also, how is disc size measured...mine appear to be 3 and 3/4 inches across their widest point and are stamped on the inside flange with "Supertrapp."
    Help and thanks!
    Last edited by 02Warrior; 08-26-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: had posted T102..just realized thats forest service ratings

bschultz Guest

Depending on the application, one or two discs can make a big difference. In your case I would suggest increasing the number of discs by two until you get into a lean condition or the bottom end starts to suffer, then back off a disc or two into the sweet spot. Most V-Twins of your displacement run best with 16-20 discs. Discs are sold in 6 & 12 packs.
    We produce products with 3, 4 and 5 inch discs. The actual size of the discs are slightly smaller in diameter; however for ease of reference we round up. So you have a 4" disc unit.

02Warrior Guest

Question What about the holding screws?

bschulz - thanks for the speedy reply! I just found the holding screws on the site. One final ?. one of mine was over torqued by a previous owner and the head broke off. Any significant performance issue only have 5 of the six holding screws functioning? Thanks!
    Last edited by 02Warrior; 08-27-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: just found the screws...sorry

bschultz Guest

5 should be sufficient, you can pull the core and do the repair during some down time or when you repack the muffler.

02Warrior Guest

Default more discs added, need to change PCIII settings?

I've added four discs and it's been running great...until a couple days ago when it started 'hiccuping' a bit around town. Went for a long ride today and it happened much worse while going hiway speeds..it oscillated like it wasn't getting fuel. My question is, by adding 4 discs (16 total now) and leaning out the mix, could this prob. be caused by it needing adjustments to the PCIII now?
    In other words, could the addition of discs change the fuel mix enough to require PCIII adjustments?

bschultz Guest

Yes it's possible. More discs, more flow, more sound...leaner running. Have you checked the burn on your plug(s)?