Thread: Quietest 2:1 at idle for stage 1 '09 Dyna

ptcrider Guest

Default Quietest 2:1 at idle for stage 1 '09 Dyna

I have a 2009 FXDC that I want to do Stage 1 on to get it running better/cooler. Want a 2:1 exhaust as I am looking for usable power in the lower to mid RPM's where I ride 99% of the time. I am looking for the best performing 2:1 that is the quietest available AT COLD IDLE. I work rotating shifts and frequently come and go from subdivision at midnight or 5am and want to be able to putt in/out without attracting attention. Once I am out of the subdivision it is all country and I don't care if it is loud (just so it isn't so loud that it rattles my skull and rings my ears on long highway rides). I have been researching for a few months and have received recommendations of Supermeg, Vance & Hines Pro Pipe with standard baffle and D&D Fatcat with quiet baffle. I looked on the SuperTrapp website and see you have 2 different Supermeg systems that fit an '09 dyna....the Kerker 2:1 Supermeg and the SuperTrapp 2:1 Supermeg. What is the difference between the two? Looking for your recommendation of best system and baffle/disc setup for my "quiet at idle....stage 1 engine" application. Also, if you have any data about how loud the Vance & Hines and Fatcat are at idle for comparison it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim in GA

You want the SuperTrapp SuperMeg with the discs technology. Obviously it is tuneable, but that aside, it is typically by far the quietest 2:1 available.
    Your neighbors will still wave at you and you will also be able to rip the tire up when out on the open road.
    It is under 90db at idle.

ptcrider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jwells View Post
    You want the SuperTrapp SuperMeg with the discs technology. Obviously it is tuneable, but that aside, it is typically by far the quietest 2:1 available.
    Your neighbors will still wave at you and you will also be able to rip the tire up when out on the open road.
    Thanks,
    I was all ready to go ahead and get the SuperTrapp SuperMeg and my tuner tells me he can't tune them properly. Claims to properly tune he needs exhaust with open baffle (and no end cap of course) as he needs to insert a sniffer up a few inches beyond the baffle to properly measure mix to each cylinder. Doesn't SuperTrapp have some kind of tuning end cap with a small hole in it that a tuner can use to adj things in this manner? I really would like to go with your pipe.

Most qualified tuners would already have an extra end cap with a hole in it.

Without a doubt, our 2:1 is probably the best all around performing system available-period.
    If your 'Tuner' doesn't have the equipment to do it or 'doesn't want to', I would go somewhere else.

ptcrider Guest

Under 90 db at idle i assume with closed end cap. Do you have any db numbers at idle with "open" end cap setup?

ptcrider Guest

Most qualified tuners would already have an extra end cap with a hole in it.

Without a doubt, our 2:1 is probably the best all around performing system available-period.
    If your 'Tuner' doesn't have the equipment to do it or 'doesn't want to', I would go somewhere else.
    I am getting closer to possibly getting it done with my shop. I think the problem is everyone here either runs stock exhaust or full on loud as they can with no in between. The police here don't seem to give tickets for noise so they don't get any people pushing for the quiet performance.

I understand, dealers are only doing what majority of their customers are asking for.

No sound testing done with open caps. Typically they really aren't much louder at idle, but when you get on it.

If I may. The diffuser system Supertrapp can be set with fewer discs to reduce the db level, which should result in greater backpressure and less air flow (enrich/cooler). But if you're putting in a stage 1 to jet richer on top of increasing backpressure, that may be overdoing it, i.e. going outside typical a/f ratios.

A stage 1 kit and a louder/freer flowing diffuser setup will get you noticeably more power and the cooler operating temps you're looking for. So if you go quieter, there will be a minor trade off in power/torque. Still better than stock, but not as eye opening as what she's capable of. That's what I've experienced anyway on my 4 cylinder Kawi ZX-9.

If through all this she ends up being a little louder for those AM runs, just putt in/out of the neighborhood. I doubt anyone will notice, other than to say 'thank you' for being considerate. I'm with you on that point. Mine's fairly open at 9 of 12 discs and this is what I do. I've asked and my neighbors say they've never noticed.

ptcrider Guest

I understand, dealers are only doing what majority of their customers are asking for.

No sound testing done with open caps. Typically they really aren't much louder at idle, but when you get on it.
    Well, all is GO for my shop's tuner to Dyno the SuperMeg on my bike. He is a very reputable tuner in the area and I am sure he will do great even if he has not done many SuperMeg's. Once again it is a 2009 Harley Davidson SuperGlide Custom (FXDC). Stock 96ci doing basic stage 1 intake/exhaust. Using a TTS Master Tune and will drill hole in end cap just big enough for the Dyno sniffer. I am sure this question has been asked too many times but I'm going to ask again.....for stock 96" HD how many discs should the Dyno Tuner start with and approx what should the end setup be. I read somewhere in a different forum they should start with minimal discs and add in groups of three until the low end torque starts to drop off....then remove discs one at a time to bring the low end torque back up to desired level. Does this sound correct? Is there a basic Stage 1 hd recipe (number of discs for closed end cap) that you folks already have? I just want to make sure it all ends setup proper.

The only other question I have is to verify part numbers. Looks like what I need is SuperTrapp p/n: 828-71574 (chrome, 02 bungs, '06-'09 Dyna's). Does this exhaust come with one standard wrapped baffle or is that something I have to order separately?

Thanks again!

Tim in GA
    Last edited by ptcrider; 09-01-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: incorrect wording

ptcrider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kz550 View Post
    If I may. The diffuser system Supertrapp can be set with fewer discs to reduce the db level, which should result in greater backpressure and less air flow (enrich/cooler). But if you're putting in a stage 1 to jet richer on top of increasing backpressure, that may be overdoing it, i.e. going outside typical a/f ratios.

A stage 1 kit and a louder/freer flowing diffuser setup will get you noticeably more power and the cooler operating temps you're looking for. So if you go quieter, there will be a minor trade off in power/torque. Still better than stock, but not as eye opening as what she's capable of. That's what I've experienced anyway on my 4 cylinder Kawi ZX-9.

If through all this she ends up being a little louder for those AM runs, just putt in/out of the neighborhood. I doubt anyone will notice, other than to say 'thank you' for being considerate. I'm with you on that point. Mine's fairly open at 9 of 12 discs and this is what I do. I've asked and my neighbors say they've never noticed.
    Thanks, I plan on letting my Dyno Tuner adjust the number if discs for max effect with end cap installed. I do not have any intention of decreasing the number of discs for sound reasons. I am sure no matter how many discs I end up with, as long as I use closed end cap the bike will be quiet enough at idle to do what I want (not disturb neighbors).

Thanks,

Tim in GA