Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer & other critters hate my Supertrapp

Default Deer & other critters hate my Supertrapp

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed wildlife behavior such as this.

I've only owned my Supertrapp equipped motorcycle for one year, but I'm beginning to see a trend when I'm riding in the outback. Wildlife takes notice of my presence and they want nothing to do with me. Dunno if there's some accoustical whistling sound that's out of human tone range or if its the Supertrapp roar, but deer, coyotes, foxes and dogs scamper for the hills if caught in my path. I have seen this pattern repeated over and over. They look at me approaching, tuck their tails and scoot.

When I'm in a car I don't witness this behavior. These same creatures almost never move or care that I'm approaching.
    Last edited by kz550; 08-05-2009 at 02:32 AM.

happyman Guest

maybe you have the proto type??

We have spent many years testing and developing the patent SuperTrapp sound and the effect this sound has on nature, both big and small creatures.
    This unique sound also helps the trees and plants grow quicker and promotes faster photosynthesis as well.
    It all makes our planet greener while also making your ride more enjoyable.

Although none of this is true, we do fully hope that you enjoy your motorcycle and ride as much as possible.

Haha, you boys laugh with your silliness. Here's the story, that I lived to tell, from yesterday evening.

Three deer ready to cross the highway from the other side, one looks big enough to be the mother. No cars present, just me at the lead of a loose pack of three sportbikes headed there way. Wanting to test the exhaust hypothesis and not wanting to get killed today, I downshift two gears without slowing to bring the exhaust note up to a loud howl. My bike was the only one with an aftermarket exhaust. They see/hear me coming, as I near their heads go up, tails go down and instead of crossing the road in front of me, they all bolt to the safety of the hills.

The tails going down is what I'm most curious about. Tails down would probably indicate they are not happy about my arrival.

happyman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kz550 View Post
    Haha, you boys laugh with your silliness. Here's the story, that I lived to tell, from yesterday evening.

Three deer ready to cross the highway from the other side, one looks big enough to be the mother. No cars present, just me at the lead of a loose pack of three sportbikes headed there way. Wanting to test the exhaust hypothesis and not wanting to get killed today, I downshift two gears without slowing to bring the exhaust note up to a loud howl. My bike was the only one with an aftermarket exhaust. They see/hear me coming, as I near their heads go up, tails go down and instead of crossing the road in front of me, they all bolt to the safety of the hills.

The tails going down is what I'm most curious about. Tails down would probably indicate they are not happy about my arrival.
    well where i am from tghere are deer everywhere and i have been hunting them for 40+ years as i have been riding since 1958 and deer do things differant things. differant deer differant reaction.. honk the horn or where ever downshift several times and you will be looking at several reactions. taill up wagging is alert and snorting also i will slow unless i can see the deer going into the trees or what ever. plus where there is one deer there is more often than not more you are not seeing ready to leap into your path . don;t matter if you spool up your bike they will cross i front of you. that is a false sense of security to say the least. good luck out there is what i wil say. deer are no fun on a bike if you hit one.

Crossed paths with seven different deer with ideas in their heads that they'd like to cross the road. In all seven instances, they got the hell out of Dodge; wanted nothing to do with the SuperTrapp note coming down the road. Some were around blind corners. For them, they were already on the run. For the others off in the distance, they did the old look, think, I'm out of here, long before I had to react.

05/30/10 Update: I was third of four riders this weekend zipping through the canyons. One set of deer were grazing along the roadside. First two bikes pass w/o any reaction. I approach, they look at me and split. Kind of like a deer plow.
    Last edited by kz550; 06-01-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Default July 2011 update

Over 40,000 miles now on the bike and too many animal encounters to individually mention. Since putting the SuperTrapp on, the interesting claim still holds true. I'm beginning to feel invincible, although I do take every instance as a potential hazard.

The latest case in point: Last week there were three different deer crossing or standing on the road along a 250 mile stretch of road I was on, mostly mountainous canyons. Two of them got into the bushes long before I made it to the area where they were. Same M.O. They wanted nothing to do with me. The third ended up running down the road away from my bike, in a complete panic. I pulled along side it as it was scurrying along in the roadside ditch. I just gave it some gas and passed. There were some steep walls along the roadside and blacktop is like ice to their hooves, preventing it from darting up the embankment.

Talking Spring 2012 update - I am invincible

Just about at 54,000 miles now and everything I've witnessed has remained static, less this one incident. I was out riding with a buddy where I was in the lead position. We had slowed our pace down to the 45 MPH posted speed limit, so we were traveling just about as quietly as one would expect.

Along the rural roadside a young lady was walking side-by-side with her horse. We passed by her on our way to a mini-mart up the street. My buddy got off his bike and asked me if I "saw that." "Saw what?," I said.

"When you rode past the gal walking her horse, the horse freaked and reared up," he said.

I see that lot. Wild animals want nothing to do with my bike's exhaust note.

No animals or humans were harmed that day.

FINALLY! Not perfectly clear, but it's the best 1080p example I have of this. The deer is already facing perpendicular to the direction of the road, but is just standing still as I come around the bend. He quickly looks and sees me and without hesitation turns his head towards the trees and scampers his hooves at the blacktop, trying to get any traction he can to get the heck off the roadway. What you don't see is there was a car that had just passed me going in the opposite direction. So in the twelve or so seconds from the time the car had gone through that same section, the deer either didn't move from the road or proceeded from the Aspen grove to his stationary standing position in the roadway. Either way, deer plowed!

09/12/13 - And again tonight. Two roadside fawns standing next to the road looking to want to cross. Around the corner and down the hill I come. Oh hell no! They did a full 180 about-face and bolted into the trees. Awesome! Not to mention the three flocks of birds in different sections of the roadway. Plowed! All!
    Last edited by kz550; 09-14-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: past tense

Default 2016 update for the critters

Seven years from when I started this thread...

It has been more of the same right into the first rides of 2016. Not the type to believe in something as unpredictable as a wild animal could be predictable, but like yesterday's ride, there were two groups of deer grazing the Spring grasses and were crossing the roadway ahead of me. I feel like I'm a rolling menace. Young and old alike hear me coming along and start heading out, more insistent the closer I get. Yesterday, I just barreled on through.

Something about the raspy SuperTrapp sound. For other riders, I see the deer often remain where they are, either standing along the sides of the road where they were grazing or on cutout hillsides. A couple of times, other riders have asked me if I saw the deer that were running away from the road as I led the group along our forested highways. Oblivious, I'd say no, but that I've found that they don't seem to like something about my bike. I think it's my Trapp.

That sound

I often take lead our ride groups at night if we're running late, taking the precaution to ride more slowly than usual and cover my brakes just in case.
    Last edited by kz550; 04-04-2016 at 12:26 AM.