Thread: 2009 night rod special fatshots

mattbmatt Guest

Cool 2009 night rod special fatshots

I recently had a set of fatshots installed on my 2009 night rod special. The harley mechanics installed 9 discs on each of the slip-ons. I had ridden the bike for 1 month since new with the stock exhaust and have noticed less torque with the fatshots installed. I have noticed a little bit of black soot around the rings and the bike is a little rough when it starts but improves with riding. I'm interested in improving the torque and actually making the system a little quieter (I rode the bike for the past 3 weeks straight and rode 5,000 kms, my hearing has suffered!).

1. If I remove some rings, how many to improve torque and quieten sound without effecting performance (everything else is stock - no air kit or power chip) was happy with stock torque.

2. Are there additional endcaps available to direct sound to rear instead of out the sides with the discs?

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by mattbmatt View Post
    I recently had a set of fatshots installed on my 2009 night rod special. The harley mechanics installed 9 discs on each of the slip-ons. I had ridden the bike for 1 month since new with the stock exhaust and have noticed less torque with the fatshots installed. I have noticed a little bit of black soot around the rings and the bike is a little rough when it starts but improves with riding. I'm interested in improving the torque and actually making the system a little quieter (I rode the bike for the past 3 weeks straight and rode 5,000 kms, my hearing has suffered!).

1. If I remove some rings, how many to improve torque and quieten sound without effecting performance (everything else is stock - no air kit or power chip) was happy with stock torque.

2. Are there additional endcaps available to direct sound to rear instead of out the sides with the discs?

Thankyou
    Hi Matt, yes, you can have more torque and less sound. We ran ours here in Cleveland, OH (approx 250 above sea level) with 8 discs on each muffler, one disc can make a difference in the sound and performance. Where do you live, do you live at sea level or higher elevation?
    Try the 8 discs and let me know how the performance and throttle response are and the sound. Or you can try 7 discs as long as you are not at more tha 1500 feel elevation. If you want you can email me at: hugger@supertrapp.com
    Thanks, Gerry

mattbmatt Guest

Thanks Gerry, I'll try 7 and see how I go, I live on the beach.

mattbmatt Guest

I took 2 discs off of each pipe today (now 7 on each) went for a test ride, bike is quieter and torque has returned closer to how it was with factory pipes. Will be keeping it that way for now. Thanks Gerry.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbmatt View Post

Thankyou
    Hi Matt,
    1. if you remove 1 or 2 discs you will create more backpressure which will give you more torque and less sound, it should also make starint easier and throttle response better.

2. you can purchase the 360 degree disc heatshield that will push the exhaust back rather than to the sides. Part # 405-2360, you can purchase this on our website by clicking on the "Store" icon at the bottom left of the home page.

FiftyFathoms Guest

Even though this thread is a year old, heres my experience with Fat Shots. lol. I have a 2009 Night Rod Special I bought new from H-D with Fat Shots already installed by the dealership. The only mod other than the mufflers is a SE high flow air filter. I'm currently running 12 discs as installed by the dealership. I have no rough idle, no popping on decel and it pulls like a guided missile further than I care to stay in the throttle. After reading the various posts it seems that most are getting great performance with fewer discs. I may go down to 9 and see if the low end torque comes up any. I have no complaints about the power now, but want to see if theres more to be had with fewer discs.

Concerning the heat shield discs. Do they restrict the exhaust flow of the muffler any? If you usually run with 8 discs, would you need to go with 9 if using the heat shield disc to make up for any flow loss?
    Last edited by FiftyFathoms; 07-29-2010 at 05:56 PM.

bschultz Guest

Are you refering to the end cap when you say heat shield disc?

FiftyFathoms Guest

The reply by Hugger to Matt above my question.

"You can purchase the 360 degree disc heatshield that will push the exhaust back rather than to the sides. Part # 405-2360, you can purchase this on our website by clicking on the "Store" icon at the bottom left of the home page."
    Last edited by FiftyFathoms; 07-31-2010 at 12:03 AM.

bschultz Guest

The exhaust shield should not restrict the exhaust gasses, only redirect.