Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05 FLSTSCI 3" internal discs

roberti Guest

Default 05 FLSTSCI 3" internal discs

I have an 05 springer classic with a stage one kit and stock 88" motor. I have the 3" internal disc slip ons. All I want to do is make the bike louder. Right now I have 8 discs and the open end cap. My question is will putting in the max number of discs change the fuel air mixture enough to require a different map. I know this is usually different from bike to bike but typically does it change it enough to require a different map. I don't want to do any major hop-ups on this bike I just want to like the way it sounds and I haven't liked it for 4 years now with the internal disc.

4 years is a long time to wait to ask about it?
    8 discs with the open cap is pretty much open all the way (close to anyway), you could add some more discs, or for curiority sake just remove them all and try it. See how you like it. It will probably give you the added volume your looking for.
    If it's is tuned to run properly the way it is, a little more flow is not going to change much or hurt anything. Always run it with some fresh plugs in it and pull them after 20-30 miles and see how they look.

roberti Guest

Default ?

I was under the impression less discs would make it more quiet. Does removing them all make it louder?

No Discs, No End Cap-Wide Open, nothing.

roberti Guest

I haven't done it yet I was just asking. Doesn't it get quieter with less discs?

With a closed end cap, the fewer the discs the quieter it will be.

With a closed end cap, the more discs you have the louder it will be.

With no end cap, no discs it will be as loud as is possible with that muffler.

roberti Guest

I'll try it and let you know.
    Is that a set-up you know people have tried in the past?
    I was under the impression that was not recommended. I don't want the pipes loud at the expense of my engine.
    Last edited by roberti; 07-12-2009 at 10:03 PM.

OK-Let's go back to your original question, and my original response.

You are over thinking this.

Original response;
    8 discs with the open cap is pretty much open all the way (close to anyway), you could add some more discs, or for curiority sake just remove them all and try it. See how you like it. It will probably give you the added volume your looking for.
    If it's is tuned to run properly the way it is, a little more flow is not going to change much or hurt anything. Always run it with some fresh plugs in it and pull them after 20-30 miles and see how they look.
    06-17-2009 08:27 PM

roberti Guest

Thank you.
    I understood what you were saying all along, I just didn't know that running it with zero discs was a recommended option.

Thank you.
    I understood what you were saying all along, I just didn't know that running it with zero discs was a recommended option.
    Today 09:15 AM

Normally it isn't, it's too loud for us. But as stated, the difference between where you were (8 discs and open end cap) and nothing is minimal, so giving it a try isn't going to hurt anything-other than your ears!
    Just go ride it and have fun!

Thanks!