Thread: Supertrapp Silent Series for Harley Softail

Rob Guest

Question Supertrapp Silent Series for Harley Softail

Considering a Supertrapp 2:1 Silent Series with the Straight, non tunable muffler for a 1996 Heritage Softail FLSTN. I am just getting too old to appreciate the noise of the Vance and Hines Bigshot Longs, even with the quiet baffles. They are a good looking but loud pipe.
    Two questions:
    Which model number do I need?
    The chart lists a 178-71752 for 84-09 and a 178-71454 for 91-09. What is the difference?
    Second question:
    Will this pipe interfere with the rider and passenger running boards that are installed on this bike? The rider boards are stock, the passenger boards are from a FLSTC.
    Thanks, Rob

The 71572 has O2 ports and comes with plugs that will work for the older non O2 equipped bikes.
    Keep something in mind, these 'Silent Series' systems are designed to be OEM level quiet. They are not a performance pipe.
    Our Standard SuperMeg Systems are much quieter than most other aftermarket systems, and may be ok for what your looking for?

Rob Guest

Default Decibels/Noise

Thanks for the post, I appreciate the insight.
    Can anyone quantify the level of sound the different pipes emit? It would be helpful to have data to go with the descriptions.
    Example:
    Stock=_______decibels
    Supermeg=_______decibels
    Silent Series=______decibels
    Just how much more performance does one really achieve for the additional level of sound that comes with a "performance" pipe?

Here's some test results that may help you;

This was on an 07 Softail, stock other than exhaust;
    Idle 2500
    SuperMeg-18 disc/closed end cap; 90 102
    Silent Series Megaphone;

Here's some test results that may help you;

This was on an 07 Softail, stock other than exhaust;
    Idle 2500
    SuperMeg-18 disc/closed end cap; 90 102
    Silent Series Megaphone; 85 95
    Silent Series Straight 84 92
    The Silent Series Megaphone mimics stock.
    This is done using the SAE J1287 sound test procedures.
    As a comparison, your Big Shot Longs are probably in the 105-107 range at idle and upwards of 110-112 at test rpm.

As far as how much better does the standard pipe work, it's dramatic. The SuperTrapp Supermeg is one of the best perfoming 2:1's ever produced, then throw in that it IS dramatically quieter than it's performance oriented competitors.
    Again, I want to be clear, the 'Silent Series' were developed to meet the drive by

Rob Guest

Now that is information! Thank you very much for the help.