Thread: Supertrapps No Longer Street Legal in NH

ShelbyDodgeImp Guest

Default Supertrapps No Longer Street Legal in NH

FYI- Supertrapps are no longer street legal for cars in the state of New Hampshire.

Under current interpretations of the law, mufflers cannot be "straight through" (meaning the inlet and outlet cannot be continuous from each other, they must be off set) and the mufflers must contain chambers.

I just had to pay $125 to have a flowmaster put on my car, and had to have my (what was originally) $300 hand polished stainless supertrapp removed in order to pass.

They're cracking down on mufflers here, real bad- the state trooper DOT's are going into shops and saying if you pass any aftermarket muffler that doesn't meet our description- we're pulling your license to inspect vehicles. If a shop passes a car with a muffler that doesn't meet that description, and the car gets stopped after the fact- the shop faces losing their license to inspect vehicles.

The sad irony of it all? My car was actually quieter with the supertrapp. It was bar none the best aftermarket muffler I've ever owned, it was sensible, it worked as described, it looked great, it sounded great.

Last year the state DOT had ruled in my favor after a long series of phone calls between my shop and the dot, allowing a shop to pass me with my supertrapp... not this year, and they don't have a choice in the matter. I guess enough of the people in the state want the police to crack down on modified exhaust systems to the point where the police don't have a choice.

Then this February, the state legislators passed a bill setting a 95 dB limit for bikes. Think about that for a minute, there isn't a STOCK harley in the world that would meet that limit.

There is an excessive noise law for car exhausts but it is "whatever the state trooper DOT says is too loud", there is no specific dB limit. There is no consistency in what they expect you to met, and if they randomly say your exhaust is too loud (say you dealt with a cop while he was having a bad day) it doesn't matter, his say is the rule of the land and you have to have the muffler replaced.

Street rods, modified cars, antiques, customs, or collectible cars are not excluded from the excessive noise law for car exhausts, and are also expected to use the same definition of a muffler as daily drivers.

Maybe someone out there with the money for lawyers can force the state to change their minds.
    Last edited by ShelbyDodgeImp; 04-09-2009 at 10:26 AM.

I remember your story.
    The first flaw however, if law enforcement is looking at a muffler and deeming it 'illegal' strictly on appearance-specifically inlet/outlet configuration-that wont hold up in any court anywhere.
    Many automotive exhaust systems come from the factory with inline inlet/outlet configurations.
    No goverment, local/state/federal can 'Require' someone to have their exhaust system altered just to install a replacement muffler. They may try something like this, but it will not hold up. When you go into a Midas for a new muffler on your stock original equipment vehicle, are they going to have to re-route your exhaust pipes to accomodate a 'different' non-OEM style muffler with the proper inlet/outlet configuration, that may also interfere with other equipment on the vehicle? I don't think so, it's not going to happen, companies like Midas, Meineke, or Ford, Toyota, GM, etc will not take on the liability of 'altering' a vehicle in this manner.

As far as a sound limit, 95db in this case, the big question is how are they going to test this? Are they using a standardized method? Is the equipment being used properly? Is the equipment up to date and working properly? What about surrounding noise interference? This is something lawmakers are currently trying to develop, a 'universal' field test that is both easy to do as well as being consistant and affordable for the agencies.
    Also, law enforcement can not 'require' you to have an OEM muffler on your vehicle throughout its lifetime, what if the OEM part is discontinued? Does that mean you have to park your bike forever?
    Stricter sound restrictions are no doubt coming someday, but until they can truely field test and properly and fairly enforce it?????

ShelbyDodgeImp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jwells View Post
    I remember your story.
    The first flaw however, if law enforcement is looking at a muffler and deeming it 'illegal' strictly on appearance-specifically inlet/outlet configuration-that wont hold up in any court anywhere.
    That's only part of why they aren't allowing supertrapps.

They're also not allowing them because the state is considering them a "straight through muffler" since there are no chambers... and in this state "straight through mufflers" are explicitly forbidden.

As far as a sound limit, 95db in this case, the big question is how are they going to test this?
    As far as the statures themselves are concerned, how this is determined/measured is not defined anywhere. Whatever method the state trooper DOT's use, I don't have first hand knowledge on.

Bare in mind the 95 db limit is only in regard to bikes. Cars are not allowed to be "excessively loud" but no where does anyone say "how loud is too loud"- it's whatever the cop says is too loud. No db measuring even involved.

Also, law enforcement can not 'require' you to have an OEM muffler on your vehicle throughout its lifetime, what if the OEM part is discontinued? Does that mean you have to park your bike forever?
    Perhaps not, but they're certainly trying.

What has me PO'd is that the muffler I had to put on, to pass, is louder then the supertrapp was! If their goal was to make cars quieter, they're being counter productive. I took a practically brand new, flawless muffler off my car with less than 5k miles on it, just because they didn't like it's shape.

I flat out told the shop, and the troopers- give me a dB limit and I'll go home, change how many disks are on, come back- and you can test me. But don't say "well, I don't like your [quieter] muffler just because it has no chambers". What kind of illogical nonsense is that?!

I flat out told the shop, and the troopers- give me a dB limit and I'll go home, change how many disks are on, come back- and you can test me. But don't say "well, I don't like your [quieter] muffler just because it has no chambers". What kind of illogical nonsense is that?!

This is(should be) the bottom line.

In regards to the motorcycle only sound limits, the AMA will be all over this and it is doubtful it will ever hold up-they have worked to overturn a number of issues like this in the past.

Don't give up.

leomartin6 Guest

Let us see how it goes ???