Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD 883 tune

oldmanjob Guest

Default HD 883 tune

The only if you call it an engine mod is a Big Suck Stage one, air intake (no re-jetting done but carb was re-adjusted). When my two into one was installed the shop put on all 12 disk's. After riding approx 300 miles on this setup, I would get a engine hesitation when down shifting into third gear, and when I rolled on in the same gear, the same hesitation I assumed that the bike was running too lean even though the plugs were a good color. . I then removed 3 disk's and have run 9 for the last 100 miles. I have found a power increase, but the third gear problem still exists, but less noticeable. The plugs still look good but just a tad darker.

I called customer relations (before I found this(orum) and the young lady suggested I drop it down to 8. So this morning I dropped it down one, cleaned the plugs, and will put 100 miles in this setup. Now the question is if this last adjustment doesn't solve the third geat problem should I re-jet and if so what size jet should I use?

You can reduce the number of discs and try it, but you are not getting the full benefit of the pipe and the air intake you paid good money for.
    You say it was not 'Re-Jetted' but it was 're-adjusted'
    With the free flowing air cleaner and free flowing exhaust, it need more jetting changes, air/fuel screw will not do enough. I'm going to also guess that the problem exists in all gears, just most noticeable in 3rd? Carburetion does not know what gear your in and it doesn't care, if it's wrong it's wrong in every gear.
    I would suggest looking into purchasing a dyno jet kit for the bike or the Screaming eagle jet kit (i think it's the same as/made by dyno-jet). You will use a bigger main as well as shimming up the needle and bigger pilot circuit. With that you should be albe to go back up to the proper number of discs.

oldmanjob Guest

The jet kit has been ordered, should be in Mon or Tues. Ran with 8 and it was awful. Went up to 10, and it runs much better. To pick your brain, when re-jetted what would be the best number of disk's to start off with?

Start with 14-16 and go from there, be sure to use plenty of anti-seize on the bolt threads also.

oldmanjob Guest

Well the bike was re-jetted with a Keihin no hassle jetting kit. Followed the kits instructions and used a #45 slow jet, #165 main jet and a NOKH jet needle, and put on 16 disc's with a closed end cap. Mad dog (great name for a mechanic) took the bike out ran it through all gears and even a run at 80 MPH Bike ran smooth and the third gear miss was gone.

Picked up the bike this afternoon. Ran it on the interstate between 65-75 plenty of power and ran smooth. Then it was stop and go traffic and no problem there neither. Ran it on some twisties and had plenty of pull through the gears (I have changed the front sprocket from a 27 tooth to a 26 so my shift point comes a lot quicker than stock). With this solid mounted motor the vibration between 40-60 was annoying, but with this new setup the bike seems to run smoother. Will try to get another 100 miles on this setup and will report back in
    Last edited by oldmanjob; 02-09-2009 at 07:56 PM.

oldmanjob Guest

After over 200 miles, the bike is running great with the new setup. After getting back from the bike show in Greenville S.C. Saturday, over 100 miles with a side trip through the watershed twisties, the plug's looked fine and averaged 50 MPG.

sounds perfect, go ride and enjoy it.

Thumbs up closed end-cap universal Supertrapp (sportbike)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanjob View Post
    After over 200 miles, the bike is running great with the new setup. After getting back from the bike show in Greenville S.C. Saturday, over 100 miles with a side trip through the watershed twisties, the plug's looked fine and averaged 50 MPG.
    I enjoyed reading your review. Like you, I too have to wipe the smile off my face after a ride. My Supertrapp equipped sport bike charges from as little as 3K RPM & pulls the wheel off the ground above 7K, all while getting 4 - 9% better fuel economy than before the Trapp. I belong to a Kawasaki forum where I hear riders incessantly talking about more power. Some achieve that goal at the expense of having a peaky bike with limited range, sometimes upwards of 40% less. Never do I hear any of them compensating for altitude.

I barely touched my jetting, fixing a known low RPM lean spot. The Supertrapp universal does the rest. Swapping bikes with other riders for short stints is always a treat.
    Give me my 9r back!!!

Enjoy your new bike!

~50MPG, 238+MPT, 5 gallon tank, base elevation 4,500', 899cc ZX-9r exhaust slip on (9 of 12 discs), pilot air screws adjusted, jet needle raised 0.5mm, main jets lowered two sizes, with more power than I'm skilled to control.
    Last edited by kz550; 02-27-2009 at 02:19 AM.

oldmanjob Guest

After a couple of hundred more miles, from the color of the plugs, the bike seems to be running on the rich side. Would it be a good idea to increase the disc's from 16 to 18 before messing around with carb adjusting

Try adding two and see how it works. Keep in mind, probably better to be a little rich vs. lean?