Thread: exhaust plates in muffler body

Default exhaust plates in muffler body

Ok i am new here but this is a great new forum for help. Ok can someone explain to me what is right or wrong. I had a conversion done to a CSC trike and when i picked it up it had the 10" super trapp mufflers on it. I was told that they buy the parts from super trapp and build the mufflers them self. Looking in side the muffler bodies having dual exhaust the 12 plates each side only have about a 1/8" clearance around the inside body wall to plates. Had the bike on the dyno today and had great numbers from the dyno. My tuner had moved the baffle outside the muffler body with only the plates exposed . He said it would be better than having them confined inside the muffler. I still have to mount the end caps / slash cut #108-8031 cap to the muffler body even confining the plates again. should i leave the end cap off with exposed plates or move the baffle and plates back into the muffler body and put the end caps back on losing the excellent tune i have now. sorry for being so long winded just trying to explain what is going on. Thanks for any help in advance. Booggerbe

Quote Originally Posted by Booggerbe View Post
    Ok i am new here but this is a great new forum for help. Ok can someone explain to me what is right or wrong. I had a conversion done to a CSC trike and when i picked it up it had the 10" super trapp mufflers on it. I was told that they buy the parts from super trapp and build the mufflers them self. Looking in side the muffler bodies having dual exhaust the 12 plates each side only have about a 1/8" clearance around the inside body wall to plates. Had the bike on the dyno today and had great numbers from the dyno. My tuner had moved the baffle outside the muffler body with only the plates exposed . He said it would be better than having them confined inside the muffler. I still have to mount the end caps / slash cut #108-8031 cap to the muffler body even confining the plates again. should i leave the end cap off with exposed plates or move the baffle and plates back into the muffler body and put the end caps back on losing the excellent tune i have now. sorry for being so long winded just trying to explain what is going on. Thanks for any help in advance. Booggerbe
    Good question, and this comes up occasionally; We have sold disc parts to CSC in the past, we have not in more than a few years now however. They were making their own muffler that used our discs. That is the extent of our involvement. Other than the discs, it is not related to us in any way by design or any other manner. With that said; From the sounds of it, your tuner is correct. You might want to consider running an open end cap that will flow directly out the back of the muffler more?
    Hope that helps some.

Ok Thanks for the imfo. If i do go to the open end cap what would be the results in my tune on the performance of the motor. Would it richen or lean the motor. Thanks again for your help. Booggerbe (Ron)

Quote Originally Posted by Booggerbe View Post
    Ok Thanks for the imfo. If i do go to the open end cap what would be the results in my tune on the performance of the motor. Would it richen or lean the motor. Thanks again for your help. Booggerbe (Ron)
    The 3" Open End Cap flows about the equivalent of 8-9 discs w/Closed End Cap. So if you are running 12 discs now with the Closed End Cap, you could effectively go to 3-4 discs with the Open End Cap and be flowing the same. But with the Open End Cap, the exhaust flow would be more directed straight out the back of the muffler.
    Hope that helps, thanks!

Curious with the end result of this project! I'm no expert but my guess it would make it lean.

Quote Originally Posted by darthJ View Post
    Curious with the end result of this project! I'm no expert but my guess it would make it lean.
    No way of us knowing-we don't even know what bike the trike is based on? Depending on the year, the Fi will make adjustments to compensate on it's own.

I see. Hope Booggerbe would give us an update.