Thread: Looking to add an inline catalytic converter to return bike to cleaner emissions.

Default Looking to add an inline catalytic converter to return bike to cleaner emissions.

My two 13" universal aluminum racing series mufflers obviously do not come with cleaner emissions capabilities found from the stock mufflers. There are many manufacturers now that make catalytic converter inserts of various sizes and I am considering trying one out, placing it either at the end of my mid-pipe just before my SuperTrapp or slipping it inside. I understand that catalytic converters function to create tremendous heat as part of how they work to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. My concern is that this heat might melt my aluminum muffler, as one Web site described it this way:

The normal operating temperature of a catalytic converter is between 550 and 1,600 degrees Fahrenheit with the optimum temperature being about 806 degrees.

The ones I've focused on include an outer shell, like this one from Acropovic.

I'm going to try it out. If I fail I can always just by another replacement muffler, except I want to avoid creating a fire or highway hazard by adding something that'll cause so much heat buildup it'll basically melt my beautiful SuperTrapp mufflers into their molten metals.

Can you offer some insight?

It is not just a matter of 'inserting' a CAT into a pipe. The placement is critical. It needs to get hot enough to operate, if it's too close to the exhaust port it will get too hot, not close enough and it wont' get hot enough to do anything. Being close to the muffler, it will burn the packing prematurely and possibly damage the muffler. That muffler is not designed to work in conjunction with a CAT. We do not recommend it.

I suppose I just took it for granted that the OEM CAT system was in the muffler, so figured that's where I'd put this one, but your points are well taken. I should focus on getting the CAT insert farther forward where it can do the most good without sending a super-heated exhaust charge directly at the ST's fiberglass packing and internals. I'll consult with a muffler expert before going any further.

Thank you for the well-advised advice.

You got it!
    Thank you KZ!