Thread: Another number of discs question

Default Another number of discs question

Hi folks,

Recently put in Fueling 574 Cams, ported heads with a .030 head gasket along with a 50mm TB on my 103" Street Bob. I had my Supermeg set with 20 discs and closed end cap. Bike produced 105hp and 100tq where most others with similar builds were a fair bit more. The tuner thought that perhaps the pipe was a little restrictive. The HP does climb pretty quick right to the end but starts much lower up to 4k than what it should. I'd like to play with the disc setup to get these numbers moving in the right direction if possible. I do own an open end cap but do not currently use it. Any thoughts as to where to start?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
    Hi folks,

Recently put in Fueling 574 Cams, ported heads with a .030 head gasket along with a 50mm TB on my 103" Street Bob. I had my Supermeg set with 20 discs and closed end cap. Bike produced 105hp and 100tq where most others with similar builds were a fair bit more. The tuner thought that perhaps the pipe was a little restrictive. The HP does climb pretty quick right to the end but starts much lower up to 4k than what it should. I'd like to play with the disc setup to get these numbers moving in the right direction if possible. I do own an open end cap but do not currently use it. Any thoughts as to where to start?

thanks!
    Try adding a couple discs at a time to provide more "top end" flow.
    Or go with the "open" end-cap keeping in mind it flows equivalent of 10-12 discs.

Quote Originally Posted by schultz View Post
    Try adding a couple discs at a time to provide more "top end" flow.
    Or go with the "open" end-cap keeping in mind it flows equivalent of 10-12 discs.
    Thanks so much will do. Will this alter the current tune substantially or will a full tune be necessary again do you think?

Shouldn't need to, however adding discs will lean the tune you have now. Keep an eye out for decel popping or a major drop in "low end" torque.

Quote Originally Posted by schultz View Post
    Shouldn't need to, however adding discs will lean the tune you have now. Keep an eye out for decel popping or a major drop in "low end" torque.
    Thanks so much!

Thank you very much!

Can you post the dyno chart showing the bike's AFR readings? It's easy to say, just add more discs or put on an open end-cap or that someone thinks the pipe was a little restrictive. Problem is, if your AFR is below 13:1, even with all that stuff removed, your ignition system will fail to keep up with all the fuel it's being told to chemically burn.

Posting the AFR graph will shed light on exactly what's going on in your combustion chamber.