Thread: Soot buildup on Supertrapp discs a concern?

Red Dragons Guest

Default Soot buildup on Supertrapp discs a concern?

Hi. I have noticed that after a few months of riding, the discs on my Supertrapp Supermeg have a moderate amount of black soot built up on them. I have a tuner so I obviously have added extra fuel, though still run closed loop most of the time, so I'm not really running overly rich. My concern is that given the relatively small gas path between each disc, will the soot buildup over time be enough to start limiting flow? Has this ever been brought up before? I couldn't find any mention of it before, but I think it would be something worth looking into. I remove and clean my discs about every 6 months, but I'm just wondering if I'm being overly worried about it.

Thanks.

bschultz Guest

Exhaust residue is pretty normal stuff and unless there was a performance issue I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Red Dragons Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    Exhaust residue is pretty normal stuff and unless there was a performance issue I wouldn't be overly concerned.
    On any other exhaust I wouldn't have a concern. However when the gas path in between each Supertrapp disc is about 1-2 mm, even a small buildup between the discs could eventually decrease flow significantly, IMO. Has anyone else thought of this?

bschultz Guest

Yes, however we have heavily used industrial applications (many diesel) being used as spark arrestors out in the field for years without issue. The only time we've seen excessive exhaust residue buildup on discs were in 2-stroke dirt bike applications where they were jetted way to rich and fouling plugs at low RPM loads. If the buildup of exhaust residue were that significant one should be more concerned with the condition and state of tune of the power plant that is belching out such exhaust.

Red Dragons Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    Yes, however we have heavily used industrial applications (many diesel) being used as spark arrestors out in the field for years without issue. The only time we've seen excessive exhaust residue buildup on discs were in 2-stroke dirt bike applications where they were jetted way to rich and fouling plugs at low RPM loads. If the buildup of exhaust residue were that significant one should be more concerned with the condition and state of tune of the power plant that is belching out such exhaust.
    Ok, good enough for me. That's all I needed to hear. Thanks!