Thread: Will Supermeg fit a 1996 Heritage Springer Softail

Boz Guest

Default Will Supermeg fit a 1996 Heritage Springer Softail

Hey guys, I have a 1996 registered (1997 model year) FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail in here, that I am installing an S&S 111 into.
    The OEM headers will kill the power, and I would much rather use a Supermeg. The question is, will either the 828-71454 or 828-71572 foul on the saddlebag?
    I've installed a Supermeg on the Twin Cam Heritage without issues, but it may be that the Evo saddlebag hangs too low. Anybody know for sure?
    Last edited by Boz; 03-04-2014 at 03:11 PM.

bschultz Guest

Really depends on the bags. You should be able to determine how the pipe/bags relationship will be by looking at your current set up and the picture of the pipe installed on the bike;
    http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...emID=828-71454

Boz Guest

Yeah, I've tried doing that, but don't have the OEM saddlebags here with the bike. I was wondering if anyone had specifically fitted the Supermeg to this stock bike, and was aware of any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    Yeah, I've tried doing that, but don't have the OEM saddlebags here with the bike. I was wondering if anyone had specifically fitted the Supermeg to this stock bike, and was aware of any issues?
    Hey Boz, as Bruce mentioned earlier, the pipe fits the bike fine, the only issue may be the bags. The stock bags, especially with age, start to sag. When they sag they get closer to the exhaust. Most of the time this is not an issue at all. I have seen people make up a small heat shield to attach to the bottom of the bags as well. There are also aftermarket companies that make kits to 'lift' the bags back to their original shape/condition.

Hope that helps some? Cheers!

Boz Guest

Thanks Jeff, friend of mine in the USA had one in his shop, and told me that the pipe clears. So I have the pipe, the engine, and the bike here now! Won't be able to start on it for a few weeks, but I'll update this thread for the future reference of others, with my own experience.
    I haven't got the bags and their mounting frames here, but I'll get them sent to me for the installation. At 50k and 17 years old, they may well be a bit saggy..