Thread: Open End disc number

fatchop Guest

Default Open End disc number

New to the forum with my first post.I've read as much as i could on the number of discs being used on open end caps Will be receiving an open cap today and just want to touch base on the number of discs i should start with.Bike is a 2001 fxd 88 c.i. with Mikuni 42,Andrews TW21 cams and Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1. Heads are stock.I'm currently running 20 discs with closed end cap.Noise isn't a concern just looking for the best low end performance without giving up all the top end.Thanks in advance and for all the great information offered on this forum.
    Scott

fatchop Guest

Ended up going with 12 and the open end cap and it pulls like a train.

bschultz Guest

If your not looking for sound stick with the closed end cap and reduce the number discs by 3-4.

fatchop Guest

thanks bschultz.I'll give 16-17 disc with closed cap a try also.

fatchop Guest

Thought I would report back on what works best on my bike and the feel I want.16 discs with closed end cap works the best for all around performance with the way I ride.I liked the mellow rumble of the closed end cap better than the open cap.With an open cap 12 discs seemed to be the best.I tried 15-20 discs with closed cap in 1 disc increments to arrive at 16 being the best.Thanks again bschultz for the suggestion on reducing 3-4 discs.That was the ticket.

bschultz Guest

Glad to hear it, appreciate the feedback.