Thread: Fatshotz, duals or stock headers for performance and tolerable noise?

bug276 Guest

Default Fatshotz, duals or stock headers for performance and tolerable noise?

Hi All,
    I currently have V&H twin slash rounds, fullsac trudual conversion kit, fuelpak and an Arlen mess big Sucker air cleaner on my 2007 Electra Std.
    I must be getting old cause I'm not enjoying the noise or the decel popping anymore.
    I'm looking for a quieter setup (neighbours and ears to consider) and at the moment I'm thinking of going back to stock headers and a set of Supertrapp Fatshotz slip-ons.
    I've read the supertrapp site and seen the DB figures for the slip-ons with stock headers, But I'd like to know if the noise or performance goes up drastically if I use the Supertrapp duals (headers) , And does the power output change significantly up or down?

If I run the slip-ons on stock or dual headers is a fuel tuner necessary?
    Can the V&H fuelpak manage it?
    Is there a suitable fuelpak map or can I ditch it all together and rely on the stock system?
    Is there a significant performance loss by going back a stock filter?

Most of my riding is in the 2000-3000rpm mark highway riding.
    Can anyone shine some light on the subject. Thanks

bschultz Guest

Sound level with true duals should not go up significantly, maybe 1-2 dbs. We have found performance is generally better with the stock headpipe than true duals.
    If your O2 sensors are working as intended, a tuner should not be necessary. This is not to say performance can't be enhanced with an aftermarket fuel management system.
    Going back to the stock air filter may reduce sound levels; however may not provide sufficient intake flow to take full advantage of other performance mods.

bug276 Guest

Thanks for the information, would I likely get decel popping using the Fatshots with the Big Sucker filter and stock headers?
    I don't have any engine performance modifications to speak of, and am not likely too.
    Would you know how loud the Supermegs 2 into 1 would be in comparison (to the Fatshots) with minimum discs (to keep the noise down) and help performance.
    Would a tuner be required for the Supermegs 2:1 system? With or without Big Sucker?
    Thanks again.

bschultz Guest

Decel popping should be minimal, if any, with the Fatshots, stock headpipe and Big Sucker filter.
    Our SAE J2825 testing of an '07 FLHRC with the "FatShots" & "2:1 SuperTrapp SuperMeg" were as follows;

db's @ idle / 2k rpm
    FatShots w/12 discs & closed end-cap 88.7 / 93.8

2:1 SuperMeg w/18 discs & closed end-cap 90.8 / 97.5

The freer flowing air filter will add to the sound level.
    As mentioned earlier, a tuner should not be required if your fuel delivery system is operating as intended.
    Last edited by bschultz; 07-19-2013 at 08:26 AM.

bschultz Guest

Decel popping should be minimal, if any, with the Fatshots, stock headpipe and Big Sucker filter.
    Our SAE J2825 testing of an '07 FLHRC with the "FatShots" & "2:1 SuperTrapp SuperMeg" were as follows;

db's @ idle 2k rpm
    FatShots w/12 discs & closed end-cap 88.7 93.8

2:1 SuperMeg w/18 discs & closed end-cap 90.8 97.5

The freer flowing air filter will add to the sound level.
    As mentioned earlier, a tuner should not be required if your fuel delivery system is operating as intended.

bug276 Guest

Thanks for the information,
    So I wouldn't need a tuner for either system? (Provided my system is working correctly)
    I have been looking at a TTS and Thundermax, And for performance improvement I would splash out on either (I've read lots of forums and am still undecided, any thoughts for either setup)??

The more I look at the Supermegs the more I'm tempted, if I left them (Supermegs)at 8-10 discs would that keep the sound down a few db's?
    I take it both systems would perform better the big sucker? As opposed to stock A/C.
    Thanks again. This forums great for good avice and please keep up the good work.

bschultz Guest

There are many good tuners on the market that provide versatility and ease of use.

The SAE J2825 testing with 16 discs + closed end cap resulted in 90.2db's @ idle and 96.8db's @ 2k rpm's.

A freer flowing intake allows for full benefit of a freer flowing exhaust.

bug276 Guest

Cool, sounds good. Thanks for all the information. I think the Supermegs are for me, and I've found some map advice for the fuelpak that should give me a good start.

bug276 Guest

Ok, finally got my Supermegs 2into1 (black) after finally getting my old system off.
    I have the supermegs on (took a little time and I had to use the original HD P clamp, there wasn't one in the pack up).
    The problem I have is that there is a leak at the collector pipe connection, I have the t-bolt clamp as tight as I can get it and I still have the leak, any suggestions?
    I have considered a stronger clamp (higher torque rating)
    Thanks in advance.

bschultz Guest

Occasionally the inlet can distort (out of round) when t-bolt clamp is tightened. Usually this can be corrected by loosening the clamp, rotating and repeatedly tightening the clamp several times. Also make sure the back edge of the clamp is at the edge of the relief cut of the inlet.