Thread: 4 cylinder 2.9L truck. Help. Tried searching.

Default 4 cylinder 2.9L truck. Help. Tried searching.

Now I'm experimenting with my truck to see what kind of advantages I might gain from installing a SuperTrapp there. Like I've done on my two bikes, I'm just looking for something that will slip over the existing exhaust outlet. The pipe is completely stock and the OD is ~62mm or 2 7/16."

I don't want to modify what I have, in that I don't want to cut and/or weld. This is an experiment at this point to see if there are positive results. So I'm looking at something that can bolt to the existing dog-leg exhaust outlet and be as short as possible. I'm looking specifically at part # 444-2503 (below), but I cannot identify how or if that has the ability to be bolted to something or what the heck is on its inlet end.

disc-only-4in-1.jpg

I have safety wire, which I'll be using to anchor the drilled endcap bolts to the existing muffler pipe as a precautionary measure. Less I lose a bolt or the whole thing comes loose some how. Safety first, performance second.

sup-444-2503.jpgP/N 444-2503 is a weld on unit only.
    Our 3 inch Disc Only units are the only Discs Only units that are clamp on.
    4 and 5 inch Disc Only are weld on.
    Most likely our 3 inch Disc Only unit would be too restrictive for for your truck.

Good to know. Now I'm curious. Two questions and one observation:

1. How thick, roughly, is the metal bore on the black sleeve? (1mm, 2mm, 3mm, etc?)
    2) Is the sleeve ID bore a straight bore or is it expanding, increasing radius downstream towards the disc plate flange? I'd imagine the ID bore is straight 2.5" all the way down.

Assuming the answer to #1 isn't terribly thick, but not also wafer thin, I could use the same kind of pin-clamp concept used on the ST universals to hold it in place. And/or I could drill another hole for a bolt and double nut configuration to hold the black sleeve in place on the exhaust outlet. And if the sleeve's ID bore doesn't vary, I could also seal it with high-temperature silicone until such time as I have positive results worth making either this unit or a true welded-on ST universal permanent.

Observation:My 2012 truck engine has been engineered strangely and everyone who owns one like mine says the same thing. I think the engine was cam'ed for torque, so all power is derived at 0-20% throttle position. Pressing much further to 21-100% throttle only results in more intake WAAAAH noise, but no real appreciable power delivery/acceleration. I'm trying to figure out if there are changes that could be made to the intake or exhaust systems that might change this behavior or accent throttle response.

I know it's a long shot, but any thoughts and knowledge would be appreciated.