Thread: OldDog needs new tricks

OldDog Guest

Wink OldDog needs new tricks

New to the Supertrapp family so I'm trying to figure this all out...

I have an 09 Yamaha Roadliner 113CU. The exhaust is stock headers that are 2 to 1 but, I have a california sidecar Trike kit so the exhaust goes back into 2 under the trike chassis.
    The mufflers are 3.5" with 3" disks. The sound is a nice rumble however not enough "bark" when you twist the throttle for my personal liking.
    It came set up with 12 disks each side and closed end cap. It seems to be running a little on the rich side judging by the black soot in the exhaust.
    I bought a 12 pack of disks and went up to 18 disks each side hoping for more volume but it's still not where I would like it.
    While playing around I fired it up without any disks and found that "bark" I was looking for and more volume while keeping the nice rumble.
    I've been through a lot of posts and have seen open verses closed end cap comments but it seems open just means the end cap has some sort of hole in it.
    My question is, can I run just the disks with no end cap to get the sound I like then tweek the number of disks for fine tuning if it's too lean?
    or, does that defeat the purpose of the disks at that point?

For the performance benefit we recommend use of either the open end cap or the closed end cap. Yes the open end cap has a large hole and is conical in shape. For more sound the open end cap sounds like it may be what you are looking for.

OldDog Guest

Thanks for your help.

I have ordered the open end caps part#304-3034. It states "the flow area of the open end cap is the same as 6 3" disks".
    Do I need to remove 6 disks from the current number when I put the new end caps on?
    (currently 18 disks closed end cap)

bschultz Guest

That is correct.