Thread: Matchless exhaust

desertsled Guest

Default Matchless exhaust

I am currently roadracing a 1953 Matchless G80CS (500c.c. OHV Single) and am happily running with a BSA Goldstar open reverse cone megaphone. Factory SH race cams are fitted but with this setup the bike is a bit loud (as they were back in the day)but more and more tracks are enforcing noise restrictions. I am interested in a Supertrapp megaphone as an alternative but what are my options- inlet dia. is 1.75" with outlet at 4" overall length is 13" . Would one of the universal stainless external disc pipes work and what are the decibel levels with open end caps vs. closed?

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by desertsled View Post
    I am currently roadracing a 1953 Matchless G80CS (500c.c. OHV Single) and am happily running with a BSA Goldstar open reverse cone megaphone. Factory SH race cams are fitted but with this setup the bike is a bit loud (as they were back in the day)but more and more tracks are enforcing noise restrictions. I am interested in a Supertrapp megaphone as an alternative but what are my options- inlet dia. is 1.75" with outlet at 4" overall length is 13" . Would one of the universal stainless external disc pipes work and what are the decibel levels with open end caps vs. closed?
    The Megaphone and S/C Series both come in 1.75" inlets, however are 19" and 17" in length. Another option would be the Aluminum Racing Series which has a 12" body. Db levels are hard to estimate on a machine we have never tested. I would expect high 90's with a closed end-cap and well over 100 with the open end-cap.