Thread: Supertrapp motorcycle slip on dimensions

Hybrid View

Question ZX-9r Supertrapp motorcycle slip on dimensions

[Also see "Fitting SuperTrapp universals How-To thread <HERE> for another method of installation.]

This is my last hope for information. I'm striking out on your Web site and on the Web.

My case: I have a stock 2000 ZX-9r E1 and would like to fit an aluminum (423-25000) or stainless steel slip (425-25160) on to the stock mid-pipe. It appears my mid-pipe is 2.5" in diameter (actual diameter is 2 3/8" OD) and you make several universal slip-ons with 2.5" inlets.

My question: Is the Supertrapp 2.5" inlet a female 2.5" designed to slip over a 2.5" mid-pipe, a 2.5" male inlet designed to slip into the mid-pipe or a 2.5" inlet designed to butt-up to a 2.5" mid-pipe?

Thanking you in advance.
    Last edited by kz550; 01-15-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: corrected to reflect the actual 2000-2001 ZX-9r mid-pipe outlet diameter

bschultz Guest

A 2.5" ID (inlet diameter-muffler) is designed to fit onto (over) a 2.5" OD (outlet diameter-pipe).

Default great answer.

That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. Now I can narrow down my options.

I'm looking forward to getting my new exhaust.

Thanks again.

BEFORE

My stock 2000 ZX-9r with scratched up titanium canister muffler
    Last edited by kz550; 03-16-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Default 13" x 2.5" ID universal installed! Stock 2000 ZX-9r

How: I cut the old stock muffler end off using a hacksaw right at the mid-pipe exit weld. There was some additional muffler core in the mid-pipe which then came out.

The universal 2.5" ID was just a little loose sliding over the mid-pipe, so I crimped it down to match and sealed the trapp to the mid-pipe using Permatex 101BR Ultra Copper silcone gasket (local auto parts store). The circular clamp (included) covers all the crimp scratches. For good measure, instead of installing one pin (included), I put on three (at clock points: 10, 12, 4 O'clock), using similar type flat-top screws from a computer hard drive. It's not quite finished until a welder fixes the rear set plates (included) to the muffler.

The Supertrapp came with 12 diffuser discs, but six discs makes for a nice exhaust growl/howl and even power delivery at my 4500 feet elevation. I use eight when hitting the canyons. However, this requires sneaking out of my neighborhood keeping the RPMs below 2,500. Once clear, I let her go!

Pros: Beautiful look & sound. Light weight & fits my bike. Possibly/probably more power throughout powerband. Easy to follow instructions w/diagrams.
    Cons: Requires aluminum welds for rear set mount

Specs: Supertrapp 2 1/2 in. Inlet Universal Aluminum External Disc Muffler
    Dennis Kirk Part #: 43950
    Manufacturer Part #: 422-25000

zx9 zx9r zx-9 zx-9r 2000 00 Ninja Kawasaki zx-900 zx9r slip on exhaust
    Last edited by kz550; 01-15-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: correcting difinition of head v. mid-pipe. I'm asking about the mid-pipe exit, not the header exit.

Default Project complete: ZX-9r E1

<Accompanying music audio> -- YouTube video for background audio (opens new browser tab/window)
    ZX-9r Supertrapp audio taken running through a couple gears, shifting at 12,000 RPM.

The right look, sound, attention and performance. Pic 1: Oct 2009, 2:May 2009 3: Sep 2008

Last edited by kz550; 12-09-2009 at 05:24 PM.

bschultz Guest

Looks great, nice job!
    Would you mind if we used one of your pic's along with some of your comments on our Gallery section of the website?
    Last edited by bschultz; 08-27-2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add

Thank you!

Sweet to see these milestones under Supertrapp.