Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supertrapp motorcycle slip on dimensions

Question ZX-9r Supertrapp motorcycle slip on dimensions

[Also see "Fitting SuperTrapp universals How-To thread <HERE> for another method of installation.]

This is my last hope for information. I'm striking out on your Web site and on the Web.

My case: I have a stock 2000 ZX-9r E1 and would like to fit an aluminum (423-25000) or stainless steel slip (425-25160) on to the stock mid-pipe. It appears my mid-pipe is 2.5" in diameter (actual diameter is 2 3/8" OD) and you make several universal slip-ons with 2.5" inlets.

My question: Is the Supertrapp 2.5" inlet a female 2.5" designed to slip over a 2.5" mid-pipe, a 2.5" male inlet designed to slip into the mid-pipe or a 2.5" inlet designed to butt-up to a 2.5" mid-pipe?

Thanking you in advance.
    Last edited by kz550; 01-15-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: corrected to reflect the actual 2000-2001 ZX-9r mid-pipe outlet diameter

bschultz Guest

A 2.5" ID (inlet diameter-muffler) is designed to fit onto (over) a 2.5" OD (outlet diameter-pipe).

Default great answer.

That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. Now I can narrow down my options.

I'm looking forward to getting my new exhaust.

Thanks again.

BEFORE

My stock 2000 ZX-9r with scratched up titanium canister muffler
    Last edited by kz550; 03-16-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Default 13" x 2.5" ID universal installed! Stock 2000 ZX-9r

How: I cut the old stock muffler end off using a hacksaw right at the mid-pipe exit weld. There was some additional muffler core in the mid-pipe which then came out.

The universal 2.5" ID was just a little loose sliding over the mid-pipe, so I crimped it down to match and sealed the trapp to the mid-pipe using Permatex 101BR Ultra Copper silcone gasket (local auto parts store). The circular clamp (included) covers all the crimp scratches. For good measure, instead of installing one pin (included), I put on three (at clock points: 10, 12, 4 O'clock), using similar type flat-top screws from a computer hard drive. It's not quite finished until a welder fixes the rear set plates (included) to the muffler.

The Supertrapp came with 12 diffuser discs, but six discs makes for a nice exhaust growl/howl and even power delivery at my 4500 feet elevation. I use eight when hitting the canyons. However, this requires sneaking out of my neighborhood keeping the RPMs below 2,500. Once clear, I let her go!

Pros: Beautiful look & sound. Light weight & fits my bike. Possibly/probably more power throughout powerband. Easy to follow instructions w/diagrams.
    Cons: Requires aluminum welds for rear set mount

Specs: Supertrapp 2 1/2 in. Inlet Universal Aluminum External Disc Muffler
    Dennis Kirk Part #: 43950
    Manufacturer Part #: 422-25000

zx9 zx9r zx-9 zx-9r 2000 00 Ninja Kawasaki zx-900 zx9r slip on exhaust
    Last edited by kz550; 01-15-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: correcting difinition of head v. mid-pipe. I'm asking about the mid-pipe exit, not the header exit.

Default Project complete: ZX-9r E1

<Accompanying music audio> -- YouTube video for background audio (opens new browser tab/window)
    ZX-9r Supertrapp audio taken running through a couple gears, shifting at 12,000 RPM.

The right look, sound, attention and performance. Pic 1: Oct 2009, 2:May 2009 3: Sep 2008

Last edited by kz550; 12-09-2009 at 06:24 PM.

bschultz Guest

Looks great, nice job!
    Would you mind if we used one of your pic's along with some of your comments on our Gallery section of the website?
    Last edited by bschultz; 08-27-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add

Default Supertrapp makes my sportbike come alive!

Be my guest. I added the pictures here only after repeated failed attempts to add them to the gallery. It said there was an SQL submit error.

* 47,500 mile update July 2011 -- At 9 of 12 discs, the bike is in true harmony for my base elevation of 4,500.' I lowered the main jets 3%, shimmed the jet needle 0.8mm to take advantage of more available torque and set the pilot air screws slightly tighter than stock. I can also switch to 8 diffuser discs and eliminate the need for the jet needle shim. I am positively nuts about riding it now!! Check it out <here>. Some other riders keep suggesting I get it dyno'ed. After a brief 167 MPH run at a local airstrip, at altitude, in heavy winds, and carrying my 220 lbs, I think she made her point. She's very potent!

Before adding the SuperTrapp, it used to bog down at altitudes above 6,000. Not anymore!! The throttle feels like a faucet, pulling strong & clean, from sea-level to mountain summits, from 1,100 RPM to red-line, all thanks to my SuperTrapp's tunable disc diffuser design. I do mostly real-world and some fun canyon riding, so that's the way she's tuned. And since installing the SuperTrapp, she consistently hits reserve between 200 - 221 miles; avg:52MPG (Highway: 54MPG) with all the hot dogging and passing!!

Another significant attribute of the SuperTrapp diffuser design is that even at low altitude my AFR doesn't lean way out. Open pipes can't do that. Which is probably why those other bikes are jetted so rich, so specifically to one altitude or condition. What a headache!! I'll let the SuperTrapp handle all that AFR stuff.

She regularly proves to have the power to keep up with most everyone in the twisties, but with the combined range to waste everyone, including the sport-touring bikes. So while they're running on fumes after only 120 miles and constantly on the hunt for the next gas station, my SuperTrapp rocket just keeps going and going. This riding season has been a mixed bag. Even with such a potent bike, it still requires that I wait for the others. It is nice, however, knowing that I'm at least able to pick where I fuel up, instead of being forced to pay for expensive, old, rusty boon-dock gas.

As for the dB level using 9 discs & the gas turbine wale? It gets the right kind of attention at stop lights & lots of questions about how it works. The only complaints so far have been from uptight old women -- "enough!" ***Perfect***

In hindsight, purchasing a SuperTrapp was one of those priceless decisions that helped make everything else possible. I knew I wanted my bike to have that unmistakable SuperTrapp roar. I had no idea I would end up with such a perfect fit for my riding style: a nice roar, superior MPG and range, awesome power, and great looks.

Looking forward to keeping my SuperTrapp equipped ZX-9r around for a long, long time.

You're looking at 90,000 miles of wear and tear (April 2016). The odometer readout is added for context.

44,000 miles tracked and 157 fuel-ups recorded. Having a SuperTrapp, I always look forward to the next ride.

GSXR-600 750 1000 R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 ZX9 ZX-9R ZX9R ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG, Kawasaki Yamaha Honda Suzuki Ducati miles per gallon horsepower torque dyno top speed best exhaust ridden in anger best sportbike ever best streetbike top 10 sportbike of all time ZX9R got owned by a ninja zx-9r tank range 250 miles miles per gallon what makes the California model ZX-9R so fast? 100,000 mile sportbike 900cc best MPG for a large bike, fastest 750 600 900 1000
    Last edited by kz550; 04-09-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Long-term reviews and updates

Default WOW! wow! WOW! 221.5 miles to reserve

Had to post this up, since most ZX-9r owners report 100-150 miles to reserve. Not so with my SuperTrapp equipped ZX-9r.

08/22/09 - 213.4 miles to reserve today Scratch that! It can go higher. I took a diffuser plate out and returned the jet needle to its stock position for the following.
    Bettered on 10/09/09. Detuned Winter setup - First run 218.9 miles to reserve, followed up with a 221.5 on the second run. First single tank run was completed at 249.5 miles before refueling. Deduced there was still about 1/2 gallon remaining. Second run was fueled at 224.5 taking on 4.062g. 474 miles using 8.624g = 54.96 MPG. New tank range ~275 miles.

Face blanked out to protect the innocent.

Thank you, Thank you, SuperTrapp engineering!! Used 7.72g. Covered 409 miles and crossed two 9,000' summits.

Even in the Free Lunch configuration, she's outrunning everything else out there, less that one BMW R1200 with a 9g fuel tank. I'm so stoked about the Kawi/SuperTrapp combination I'm working on getting another and doing the same thing. I mean, at 21,000 mile/yr how long can I expect these bikes to last?
    Last edited by kz550; 03-25-2010 at 08:30 PM.

bschultz Guest

That's FANTASTIC!

Thanks for your contiued support/input.

Default August 2012 update

Quote Originally Posted by kz550 View Post
    ...I'm so stoked about the Kawi/SuperTrapp combination I'm working on getting another and doing the same thing. I mean, at 21,000 mile/yr how long can I expect these bikes to last?
    Indefinitely? She now has ~60,000 miles on the odometer with no apparent signs of aging. MPG numbers are in-line, turning a 53.8 from a 213.8 mile ride, same as she's always done. Everyone who's ridden her says she's so fun to ride. So I put together another short video, showing footage before and after launching her off the side of a mountain. I'll throw in the 'down I go' video and rebuild animation for context. The last photo was take last weekend. She still has her original SuperTrapp I purchased in 2008 and it looks and performs great!

Down I go

The rebuild (hit Shift-Reload if the animation doesn't appear between the two videos)

A tribute to my SuperTrapp equipped ZX-9R.

As she looks today (hit Shift-Reload if the image doesn't appear below)

:-\ Post won't accept four images, or animations so I'll put the last photo below.
    Last edited by kz550; 08-28-2012 at 02:00 AM.