Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supertrapp with open or closed end caps

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p-p View Post
    No no, I don't have the same amount of discs. I had 21 discs in each muffler with closed end caps and i have now 12 discs with open end caps. I took 9 discs away...
    On the internal disc system, with 3" discs, the open end cap is equal to the flow of 6-7 discs (9-10 on the 4" systems). You may want to try adding a couple of discs (w/open end-cap) and see if the seat of the pants feeling comes back.

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTNAVYRET View Post
    The bike was tuned by an "certified" PC service center. The bike was tuned with no end plate in place. If I leave all 12 plates in place and add the endplate, should I have a very poor running machine...very rich?
    Adding the "closed" end-cap will restrict the exhaust flow and should cause the machine to run richer and will most likely affect performance.

CAPTNAVYRET Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    Adding the "closed" end-cap will restrict the exhaust flow and should cause the machine to run richer and will most likely affect performance.
    As a "rule of thumb," if I need to put the endplate on to i.e. pass state inspection, how many discs should I remove to be equivalent to the open end with 12 discs?

p-p Guest

On the internal disc system, with 3" discs, the open end cap is equal to the flow of 6-7 discs (9-10 on the 4" systems). You may want to try adding a couple of discs (w/open end-cap) and see if the seat of the pants feeling comes back.
    Tanks, I will try with 14 or 15 discs and open end cap !

CAPTNAVYRET Guest

Yes it's possible, if you are running the same amount of discs.
    The open end-cap is equivelent to more discs.
    Generally speaking;
    More discs, more flow, more sound, more top-end...leaner running
    Less discs, less flow, less sound, more low-end...richer running
    What is the equivalent in discs when one uses the endcap? If it is equivalent to 10-12 discs on the 5" system (V5), it would seem to me that if an open system with 12 discs was a tad rich that a closed system (endcap on) with 8-10 discs should work a little better (slightly leaner). Now Sir Guru, am I all wet or ???

p-p Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p-p View Post
    Tanks, I will try with 14 or 15 discs and open end cap !
    I tried with 15 discs and open end caps. It works great !!! I don't know if it is possible to do better, but I won't try !!!

Thanks a lot Bschulz for your help !!

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTNAVYRET View Post
    What is the equivalent in discs when one uses the endcap? If it is equivalent to 10-12 discs on the 5" system (V5), it would seem to me that if an open system with 12 discs was a tad rich that a closed system (endcap on) with 8-10 discs should work a little better (slightly leaner). Now Sir Guru, am I all wet or ???
    More discs, more flow, more sound...leaner running
    Less discs, less flow, less sound...richer running

DavidHD Guest

Hello!:

p.p. your tests is great help for me. But I have one cuestion for Guru. Appears p.p find the best performance with 15 discs and end cap open. Its the same for TC96 on Street Bob? I want in my bike the best torque. I understand the recommended conbination is 12 discs and end cap openned?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by DavidHD; 09-24-2007 at 09:16 AM.

p-p Guest

More discs, more flow, more sound...leaner running
    Less discs, less flow, less sound...richer running
    If I understand well :

- more I add discs, bigger should be the main jet ?

- less I have discs, smaller should be the main jet ?

A friend of mine tells that it is the opposite. He tells that if you open the pipes, you have to put a smaller jet...

bschultz Guest

Most likely.