Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supertrapp with open or closed end caps

p-p Guest

Default Supertrapp with open or closed end caps

Hi,

I was told by bshulz that an open end caps flows for 8-10 discs.

I found on the Internet a dyno diagramm where I could see that the power increases a lot with more discs.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_supertrapp.shtml

It is ok until now. I understand well !!! But it is always spoken about horsepower and not about torque. I don't know how you ride but what I use the most is the torque at 3000 rpm and not horsepower at 5000 !!!

My questions are :

- what is the difference between 18 discs with a closed end cap and 8 discs with an open end cap in terms of power and torque ?

- Does the open end cap make loose torque at mid range to win power at top end ??

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p-p View Post
    Hi,

I was told by bshulz that an open end caps flows for 8-10 discs.

I found on the Internet a dyno diagramm where I could see that the power increases a lot with more discs.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_supertrapp.shtml

It is ok until now. I understand well !!! But it is always spoken about horsepower and not about torque. I don't know how you ride but what I use the most is the torque at 3000 rpm and not horsepower at 5000 !!!

My questions are :

- what is the difference between 18 discs with a closed end cap and 8 discs with an open end cap in terms of power and torque ?

- Does the open end cap make loose torque at mid range to win power at top end ??
    There is no difference.
    No.
    In a street application the open end cap offers you more sound and the use of less discs.

p-p Guest

Thanks a lot for this answer ! It was a very good idea to open this forum !

bschultz Guest

Thanks a lot for this answer ! It was a very good idea to open this forum !
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

CAPTNAVYRET Guest

I am a little confused. I am running a V5 on a 2007 VRSCDX with a dyno'd PCIII. The bike is running well with 12 discs and no endcap. The chromed outside "show piece" gets sooty after 50 to 60 miles indicating a somewhat rich mixture. My question is should I try adding a disc or two? Or leave well enough alone?

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTNAVYRET View Post
    I am a little confused. I am running a V5 on a 2007 VRSCDX with a dyno'd PCIII. The bike is running well with 12 discs and no endcap. The chromed outside "show piece" gets sooty after 50 to 60 miles indicating a somewhat rich mixture. My question is should I try adding a disc or two? Or leave well enough alone?
    Before adding discs we would suggest checking with your tuner regarding mapping. The intake on the V-Rod is pretty restrictive and may cause a rich condition also.

p-p Guest

Another question about open or closed end caps on internal discs systems :

I have the feeling that the response when I open the throttle is slower with the open end caps than with the closed ones..

I am dreaming or is it possible ??

bschultz Guest

Another question about open or closed end caps on internal discs systems :

I have the feeling that the response when I open the throttle is slower with the open end caps than with the closed ones..

I am dreaming or is it possible ??
    Yes it's possible, if you are running the same amount of discs.
    The open end-cap is equivelent to more discs.
    Generally speaking;
    More discs, more flow, more sound, more top-end...leaner running
    Less discs, less flow, less sound, more low-end...richer running

p-p Guest

No no, I don't have the same amount of discs. I had 21 discs in each muffler with closed end caps and i have now 12 discs with open end caps. I took 9 discs away...

CAPTNAVYRET Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    Before adding discs we would suggest checking with your tuner regarding mapping. The intake on the V-Rod is pretty restrictive and may cause a rich condition also.
    The bike was tuned by an "certified" PC service center. The bike was tuned with no end plate in place. If I leave all 12 plates in place and add the endplate, should I have a very poor running machine...very rich?