Thread: HELP older supertrapp needs repacking,BUT...

Hybrid View

scotttco62 Guest

Default HELP older supertrapp needs repacking,BUT...

I have an older supertrapp on my 1994 xr 650l and it needs repacking but...
    1. I dont know what model it is(bought bike used it was allready on there.)
    2. Its stuck as *&$*. I cant remove it , I can rotate the aluminum outershell but the insert and my pipe are fused together.Ive removed the pin and cussed at it alot but nada.
    3. I dont know how the pipe/silencer is made(i.e. does it have a steel sleeve inside the aluminum shell? or is that flange i see part of my pipe?
    The only form of I.D. on the silencer is a serial number on the hanger flange(027-2221) as well ,the disks are all marked with supertrapp .
    If i had a better idea of how it was made i could probably perform some minor surgery and free her up. but i dont even know what model it is.....any tips ,tricks or fixes would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by scotttco62; 08-15-2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: more info

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scotttco62 View Post
    I have an older supertrapp on my 1994 xr 650l and it needs repacking but...
    1. I dont know what model it is(bought bike used it was allready on there.)
    2. Its stuck as *&$*. I cant remove it , I can rotate the aluminum outershell but the insert and my pipe are fused together.Ive removed the pin and cussed at it alot but nada.
    3. I dont know how the pipe/silencer is made(i.e. does it have a steel sleeve inside the aluminum shell? or is that flange i see part of my pipe?
    The only form of I.D. on the silencer is a serial number on the hanger flange(027-2221) as well ,the disks are all marked with supertrapp .
    If i had a better idea of how it was made i could probably perform some minor surgery and free her up. but i dont even know what model it is.....any tips ,tricks or fixes would be most appreciated.
    The Aluminum muffler body part number is used for the IDS2 Series. The IBC and perf tube make up the core assembly. The IBC is the donut shape part at the back part of the muffler which the discs screw into. The perf tube runs from the IBC, where they are welded together, to the inlet of the muffler body. The core assembly can be removed from the rear of the muffler body after the rear most rivet on the logo is drilled out and the s-bend (connector pipe) is removed.
    Try soaking the pipe/core connection with a penatrating oil like PB Blaster and appling a little heat to free them from each other. You may need a lot of patience and a little determined persuasion. Good luck.

scotttco62 Guest

Default rivet and logo long gone...

..Thanks for your response....so the core and the connecting pipe are fused is what im getting from your post....correct?and once i free them from each other ,the core should pull out to commence the packing procedure......Ive been soaking with the very product of which you speak(great stuff by the way...)Ill try the heat before i totally lose my patience and break out the almighty hacksaw/sawzall.....
    Thanks for your prompt response....you juast saved a vintage SUPERTRAPP from a frankenstein surgery.... I hope.

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scotttco62 View Post
    ..Thanks for your response....so the core and the connecting pipe are fused is what im getting from your post....correct?and once i free them from each other ,the core should pull out to commence the packing procedure......Ive been soaking with the very product of which you speak(great stuff by the way...)Ill try the heat before i totally lose my patience and break out the almighty hacksaw/sawzall.....
    Thanks for your prompt response....you juast saved a vintage SUPERTRAPP from a frankenstein surgery.... I hope.
    Correct.
    You're on the right track...I've found that alternating heat and lubricant can sometimes maximize lubricant penetration.