Thread: 86 Yamaha SRX6

Default 86 Yamaha SRX6

I just purchased a used 86 Yamaha SRX600 with a Supertrapp slip on. The bike runs and sounds very nice w/ the ST but I noticed a thick soot deposit on the swing arm adjacent to the exhaust disc area. I removed the slip on and shook it and noticed a rattle as if something small is loose inside.

I removed the end cap and discs but still couldn't find the rattle, so I would like to remove the core. Looking at the inlet side I see two distinct circular edges.

So I have just a few questions:

1. To remove the core should I slightly separate these and then push the inner edge?

2. Between the core and the first ring there is a gasket that is partially destroyed. Would this gasket be included in a re pack kit?

3. Can you advise part number of re pack kit and/or gasket?

4. If I go to an open end cap, can I remove all the discs... I believe there were approximately eight?

TIA... And great forum.

bschultz Guest

The discontinued system for the SRX had a welded on 2:1 collector/adaptor(s). The system did NOT use any type of gaskets.
    With that said, is it possible you have a Universal that was adapted to your bike?
    Is it possible for you to post or email us a picture?
    Core removal and repacking should be similar to the one in the video section and packing kit P/N 400-4020 can be used.
    If the muffler is NOT a Universal and has the welded on connector pipe; a puller will need to be fashioned from a piece of bar stock with a couple holes in it to attach to the disc screw holes...to be yanked out from the back.

Yes, the open end cap can be used; however will run leaner than 8 discs...since the open end cap flows for 10-12 discs.
    Last edited by bschultz; 07-17-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling & adding content

Thanks. I'm having trouble posting pics from my iPad. Is there an email address I can send to? Jjoe

sales@supertrapp.com is an email address you could send your pictures to.

Thanks. Four pics sent attn bschultz and jrichards