Thread: slip on problem

2002flstc Guest

Default slip on problem

I have a set of 128-78030 slip on mufflers and there is a problem with the right muffler... it will not slip on far enough to allow the mounting holes to align up with the support bracket.... it needs to slip on another 3/8 of an inch... I have OEM header pipes on the bike... HELP

bschultz Guest

Check the inside of the inlet for burrs at the relief cuts.

2002flstc Guest

Default Done that....

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    Check the inside of the inlet for burrs at the relief cuts.
    I have checked it very carefully... it slips on very easy... the problem as I see it is that the baffle tube is hitting the end of my header pipe. Can the baffle tube be shortened by cutting ???

bschultz Guest

Is the core assembly nut holes lined up with the muffler body holes (end cap holes)?

2002flstc Guest

Yes the baffle is lined up correctly and the cap head screw is in place holding the baffle.

bschultz Guest

The muffler inlet should have 1.5" of engagement. If there is not at least 1.5", pull the core assembly. The core locator (inlet) is a slip fit, (It should come off the core). Tap the inlet end on the floor to see if the core locator will slip onto the perf tube the 3/8-1/2" you need. If this does not work, you can pull the core locator and cut the perf tube the 3/8" and then refit the core locator.
    This is pretty unusual, we can always process a warranty if all else fails or if you simply don't want to get that involved.

2002flstc Guest

Muffler inlet has 1 3/8" of clearance..

Before we go any further... let me back up a bit as you seem to be discribing something other than what I have...

you said
    core assembly nut holes
    on my muffler body there is only one hole for the core and one for the tip...

you said
    The core locator (inlet) is a slip fit, (It should come off the core).
    There does not appear to be a separate "locator", the core I have is one piece. (I can post images if necessary)

Perhaps I made a serious blunder.... The number that I first gave you was from the supertrapp website as the v-twin page that I actually ordered from was unavailble yesterday...

The product number on the box... 628-78056

bschultz Guest

That is an Internal disc series and the core/perf tube should measure 17.7".
    Contact our warranty departmment in the morning at 216-265-8400.