Thread: Crimping versus shimming?

Default Crimping versus shimming?

My Supertrapp slip-on just arrived and is a little too loose. I ordered a 2.5" and my actual pipe is more like 2.375". I did a search in this section and found one guy that had the same problem, so he said he crimped it down to fit the 2.375" and that the clamp hid the marks.
    How the heck do I crimp it?
    My first solution thought of was possibly shimming it by wrapping some tin stock around the end.
    Anybody want to offer me some advice, I'd love it!
    thanks,
    scott

it's going on my newly acquired SRX 600

bschultz Guest

Crimping could result in leaks at the relief cuts, shimming would most likely produce a more solid connection AND a better seal.

Default shimming

What would you use to shim it and would you use any exhaust sealer or high temp silicone/whatever?
    thanks,
    scott

<Here> perhaps?

Default thanks

I'm heading over to Autozone this morning for a sleeve. Did you just spread a light coat of the Permatex on the "interior" parts?
    thanks again,
    scott

I didn't use a lot. I still have the original tube too. You definitely want a complete seal and for the silicon to adhere well. Consider roughing up about the first 1/2" of the chrome on the mid-pipe tip.

But I did apply coatings to each butting surface. So in this case the mid-pipe outer, the sleeve inner and outer, and the muffler's inner side. Like I did, I tested the fit before applying silicone to know better how much I needed and where I wanted to apply silicone to each butting surface. If you follow how I did it, it comes out looking like this. Nowhere do you see the sticky orange colored silicon.