Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SuperTrapp slip on's for 2007 FXDL

bschultz please get back. I am very disappointed with the new SupperTrapp's.
    My front muffler is starting to turn blue in colour from the heat, yet the rear one is not. The front muffler is starting to blue at about where the discs are located inside the muffler. Both have the balance pipe before them from the stock exhaust pipes etc. Both should run pretty much the same temp. should they not? I am now running ten discs. I have put back in one more to make it 11. I have run it before with the 11, but I think I am going to try 12 and see how it runs and sounds. Would running more discs help the mufflers to run cooler? It would be louder I know for sure. Just a refresher, my bike is fuel injected 2007 FXDL 96 CI with the HD Heavy Breather air cleaner and it has been reprogramed to stage one. I am also running the Nightrider XiED's to help richen the fuel.
    Last edited by FXDL; 06-25-2012 at 05:55 AM.

bschultz Guest

Discoloring near the discs normally indicates a build up of back pressure and need for an increase in the number of discs. Try adding discs to the affected pipe.

bschultz Thankyou for getting back so soon. Dumb question to both mufflers correct? Dumb question again on my part but you say try adding to the affected pipe, only the affected pipe and not the rear too. The build up of back pressure was what I was thinking that is why I asked if I should add more discs. So it will let the mufflers run cooler so to speak as it lets the hot exhaust gases out. I will try 12 discs as I have tried 11 and the sound from them was not too loud so I think just a bit louder again might just work with 12 discs. If not back to 11 and hope the muffs don't blue any more then now with the 10.
    Is there is a product out there that will clean some of the blueing from the front muffler?? Thanks again and have a great week now eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 06-25-2012 at 10:28 AM.

bschultz Guest

We've heard good feedback from some of our customers about "Blue Away".

bschultz thank-you for the blue away tip. My slip on's came with 36 discs 18 for each and last night when I got home I installed the 18 in each muffler up from the 12. The front muffler is running much hotter then the rear as the tapered end cap was turning a little blue at it's edge, closest to the discs. Seams funny as the cross over from the two head pipes, you would think would keep them pretty much the same temp.. I am sure glad the mufflers came with 18 discs per muff.. The 12 that I had in them were no enough. I should have started with the 18. For what I know now,I believe one should always start with the max that come with the system one buys and give it some time to see if the pipes blue and how the engine runs with the max discs. For sure the muffs., with 18 discs do not flow as much I believe as the HD SE slip on's with the baffles that I had installed from the Harley dealer, for sure sound wise. The stock SE's I think maybe flowed more? bschultz I just may get more discs and add some more??? bschultz it might also be a good idea to add more to the front muffler then the rear to balance the two??? I would like the 12 pack and add 6 per muff., or maybe a odd and even number,will see. They are not cheap and will have to find someone to get for me asap. I have a lazer thermometer and will see what temps the mufflers are running at along with diff., places on both the front and rear cylinders and other points. Again thank-you for your time and ride safe eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 06-27-2012 at 09:41 AM.

bschultz Guest

ALL bikes have their peculiarities; however you may want to consider having a qualified technician look at your bikes state of tune, specifically the front cylinder heat situation.

bschultz I talked with my dealer and they said that is the normal for the front to exhaust hotter then the rear. I said that that the exhaust from the front is some 100 degs F hotter as it exits the rear of the muffler and yes that is correct and normal. The front muffler is always the one to turn blue, and not the rear. The rear still looks the same with no colour change what so ever. So far they are 100% correct. I will talk with them again and in person and get it as they said it and put into words out here so all will understand it. I said to them, I would have thought that the hotter rear cyclinder would cause the rear muffler to exhaust hotter then the front, but no. As I understand it, they said all V twins do it the same. Learn something new every day eh. Thanks for your time and have a great week-end now eh. We have a long week-end up here eh and this one is for July 1st. You got one coming for July 4th correct so injoy all. Ride safe all.
    Last edited by FXDL; 06-29-2012 at 06:06 AM.

bschultz I ordered 12 more 3 inch discs to install. I was going to add say 6 more to each muffler. I now have 18 in each. What do you think? It will be 24 in each. Thank-you for your time and have a great July 4th now eh.

bschultz Guest

Sounds like an excessive amount of discs.

bschultz how many discs max would you use in each? You think running 6 more in each is too many. Running that many will cause the back pressure to be too low? It sounds when it is a hot day up here that it is being muffled, the exhaust is too restrictive. I want to get the exhaust to flow at it's best and let out the heat too. I now have the 18 in each. I was thinking of adding say 4 more in each instead of of 6 to bring the total up to 22 per muff.. Thanks and have a great day eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 07-05-2012 at 06:37 AM.