Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SuperTrapp slip on's for 2007 FXDL

bschultz, I sure hope the slip on's PN 628-78088 are a easy install, pretty much the same as stock mufflers on and or off i hope.

Picked up the trapps last night from Fed ex and opened them and all I can say so far is they look super,they look "Supertrapps." Can't wait to get them installed. Have to find the time now to remove the oold and install them.

bschultz I installed my new slip on's with 10 discs as you had said [8-10] and sounds great, I can now hear things other then my exhaust. The sound could be a little more[maybe just a little] so may add one or two more discs and that may be just wright, but more so would let it breath better too? What do you think?? I will test ride for say a few days as it is and see how it goes and runs. The bike has been reprogramed to stage one ugrade since new as I have said and also it has the heavy breather HD air cleaner and also I have installed the Nightrider XiED's's. One disc can make a big diff., by what people out here say with the Supertrapp's. What do you think bschultz one or two ?? The front muffler has a dimple in it for the cross over but the rear should have one also for the rear axle as I have the HD axle covers on and the mufflers hit them. I had to loosen the exhaust pipe and move it out some and hold it and retighten the ex., pipe bracket other wise the muff., would rub and I am sure make noise of sorts. So maybe in the future it would be good idea to put a dimple in the rear muff., too when made at your end to clear the covers that may be used by some??? Thank-you for your time and have a great day now eh.

bschultz Guest

Your suggestion has been passed on to our R & D Department.

Normally when tuning add/remove discs 2-3 at a time, going back and tweaking with one.

An "open" end-cap will also provide more sound.

bschultz, Thank-you for getting back so soon. So when adding I should add one at a time so as to fine tune and to get a bit louder. As for loud, I kind of like the way it is now as I can hear the bike better and hear my self think and it is much easier on my ears too, and for sure the law man will bother me less for sure in the firture. I am really only looking to fine tune. To remove the tappered end cap to install say one more disc, the muff., tappered end cap may be hard to get off as on the rear muff., it was very hard to get on in the first place, it was a very tight fit almost like they were sized wrong. The front muff., it was very easy to tap on with my had only but not the rear one for sure . Any tricks you can suggust to get them off now, so as not to damage them to install the one disc at a time and test ride. Thanks again bschultz and have a great day now eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 06-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.

I added 1 more disc to bring it to 11, but really 12 with the curved end disc. The sound really changes with just 1 more disc in the case of the 3 inch slip on's. I am going to take out the 1 disc I added last night as I liked the sound better. It still sounded good and I could hear the engine etc.

One thing I do not like about them is the fact that when I went to add the one more disc and after only 3 days of running the new slip on's on my bike. The 2 of 3 screws holding the discs in the front muffler were allready seized. I had to spray penetrating oil on them and the 2 screws the threads are not so great now. The copper anti sieze is not that great. I have allways used nickle type anti-seize. I like the Jet-Lub Nilkal high temperature brand as it is good up 2600 degrees F and the copper that comes with new muffers is only good up to some 1800 I believe. A big diff., in temps. I will stop and get a new small tub of it on the way home as I had run out of it otherwise I would have used it from the word go instead of the copper. Sorry the copper is crap and maybe Jet Lub or such should be put in for the new install, intead of the copper that comes with new systems. I will use more then needed to insure they will come out again as I will also put not only on the screws but also the threads that are in the baffles. bschultz where can I get new short allen head screws? What size are the short ones and the thread size on them? It would be a real pain from any dealer of your trapps but I will ask the Harley dealer in Barrie ON.. The slip on' came with short and long ones and I only needed the short ones with the 10 discs i am running. I hope only the screws and not the nuts welded to the baffle are not damaged. Thank-you and have a great one eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 06-14-2012 at 12:50 PM.

bschultz Guest

The short 3" disc screws are 1.25" long and the threads a 8-32.

Contact our Customer Service Department for replacement screws.

bschultz Thank-you for getting back. I picked up at at Nut and Bolts store up here 12 of them for $4.00 .I will pick up more them as good to have some in my tool box. I removed one disc, now back to 10 discs. Adding or removing one sure makes a diff., on the sound. Every time I change I will use new new screws if any sign of damage to them and I now use the Jet Lub Nilkal high temp anti-seize. I also put some of the Jet Lub in the screw holes, nuts that are welded to the baffle to insure removal of the screws. To me the copper is does not work that great.
    Last edited by FXDL; 06-19-2012 at 10:43 AM.

bschultz Guest

Thanks for the info, I've passed along your post to R & D.