Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SuperTrapp slip on's for 2007 FXDL

bschultz Guest

Sounds like you have a game plan.

bschultz, so 4 more discs would be ok making it 22 total but 6 more would be too many? 4 more and see how it sounds and runs? I think running more then less is better so as not restrict the exhaust flow and the heat. Also because the front muffler's exhaust is hotter by 100 degs F [front 525 F and rear 425 F] would it be better to run more discs in the front muffler then the rear muff., and if so how many diff. between the two would think would be good bschultz? bschultz, we all must keep you real busy out here so I say "Many Thanks" for getting back and alway so soon. Ride safe all and have a great day eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 07-05-2012 at 10:50 AM.

bschultz Guest

Go with a difference of 6 discs.

bschultz. are you saying 6 more in the front muffler then the rear? The 2 inch screws will only hold some 22 each correct as your site states? If you are saying 6 then I would try 4 more in the front if it be true on the 2 inch screws. By the way with 18 in now the front and rear the mufflers are running cooler by about 50 degs each and I run it. Will check when I get home today the exhaust temps, as it is calling for 36 degs C today here in Toronto and that is before the hum., of some 44 and by the time I ride from here to home in Bradford, some 60 Km's will for sure be a test of the exh., temps for sure. Also for what ever it is worth I run Amsoil 20w50 MCV in all 3 holes, which I am sure helps some what. Thanks eh for your time bschultz.
    Last edited by FXDL; 07-06-2012 at 05:47 AM.

bschultz Guest

I'm not advising you to add or remove any discs; however 6 discs should provide some kind of feed back you may be looking for.

I put 4 more in each rather then a diff., number in the front and rear over the week-end for a total of 22 in each. I believe that is the max that the 2 inch screws will hold correct.

bschultz Guest

Yes...about 12 discs per inch of thread.

bschultz, I now have the 22 discs per muff., I added 4 to the 18 but I think I will cut them back to 20 each. With the 22 discs I am getting some popping from the exhaust as I decelarate, so I am thinking the bike is starting to run on the lean side with the 22 discs? What do you think bschultz?? See you all tomorrow at Friday the 13th in Port Dover. Ride safe all. Thanks for your time eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 07-12-2012 at 12:46 PM.

bschultz Guest

Yes, reducing the number of discs should help with the decel popping.

bschultz I took out 2 from each muff., and will see how it runs. I have had a stalling problem with it before the Trapps and still with them. Will see if the 20discs help. The dealer has checked it more then once and for vac., leaks also along with the idle. I think maybe with the HD SE mufflers with the noiser baffles in it had too low a back pressure and caused it to run on the lean side. I can not remember if it had the stalling problem with stock SE baffles. I had a shuting down/stalling problem back when and the cause was my cell phone was too close to the security fob and it keep shuting down/stalling the engine faster then you could say off and on. I then keep the phone away from the fob or turned it off. The stalling then would happen once and every so often. I could run it all day and nothing would happen or ride it for only 5 mins., and it would die/stall. It sounds like it is running on the lean side and the exhaust tone changes so I can most of the time tell when it is about to happen. I wonder if it has done something to the bikes computer, but my dealer says no, it would not. I have back when installed the Night Rider XiED's to help richin it and it still would stall with them. Maybe the Thunder Max Auto Tune is the answer with the stock computer replaced with the auto tune and the XiED's removed. Thanks for your time bschultz and have a great day now eh.
    Last edited by FXDL; 07-17-2012 at 05:49 AM.