Thread: Tune the bike or the exhaust?

monkeyboy Guest

Default Tune the bike or the exhaust?

I have a '05 fuel injected Dyna with some engine performance modifications. I just recently bought a Supertrapp 2 into 1 exhaust system. After I finished the engine modifications I had it tuned on a dyno using a PC-V and V & H straight shots. My question is: after I install the 2 into 1 exhaust, will I need to get it tuned again to compensate for the different exhaust or should I leave the "map" alone and tune the exhaust to the bike? The engine modifications include: bored to 98" with 10.5/1 pistons, Woods TW6 cams and "street port" heads. If it needs to be re-tuned after I install the new exhaust, how many discs should I start with? Again, if it doesn't need to go back on the dyno, how many discs should I start with? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

IMO, if the only thing you're changing is the exhaust and you like the current power characteristics, just follow the SuperTrapp tuning FAQ instructions. I think once you do, you'll be surprised at how differently the bike feels at different disc settings. I know that's how it is with my sportbikes.

As mentioned by KZ, put it on and try it first, start with 17-18 discs.

monkeyboy Guest

Okay guys. Thanks for your help and advise. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.