Thread: Help With Inspections

ShelbyDodgeImp Guest

Default Help With Inspections

Hello, I have a heavily modified street-legal vehicle, 1992 Dodge. While living in New York I had a three inch high flow exhaust system installed with a long glasspack out of a Patriot brand sidepipes kit. I am also a PA-nonresident and have an apartment in PA.

This winter I moved my legal address from New York state to New Hampshire. In preperation for the move I looked up the laws in New Hampshire to make sure my car would still be street legal.

I found that in New Hampshire the law requires mufflers and requires them to go on the same location as the stock one, which made my old setup illegal. So while in PA I bought a 2.5" supertrapp from Summit Racing and had it installed at a local Midas.

I go to New Hampshire, change over to New Hampshire plates & registration and then have 10 days to get my car inspected.

I try to find a shop to inspect my car, but I could not find anyone in Strafford county who would even let my car on their lot since they did not want to work on a custom car. After over a week of making phone calls I found a Dodge Dealer which said they'd work on it and inspect it for me.

The problem? They will not pass the car because of the suppertrapp!

At first the dealer said that it was too loud. New Hampshire has NO dB limit BUT they do have a state law against "excessive exhaust volume." So I drove out to the dealer, and in their lot removed all but 2 disks from my supertrapp.

They were ok with the volume at that point, but now they won't pass me because my muffler's volume is adjustable and "I could just go and put the rest of the disks back in at any time."

The state's laws for inspections require mufflers and reference NH Section 259:66 of their state law and NH section 266:59 which states as follows:

266:59 Muffler; Prevention of Noise. –
    I. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler as defined in RSA 259:66, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a way.
    II. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes, smoke, flame, gas, oil or fuel residue.
    III. [Repealed.]
    IV. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a straight pipe exhaust system; ""straight pipe exhaust system'' means any straight- through exhaust system that does not contain baffles or otherwise does not meet the definition of muffler in RSA 259:66. Any person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 for a first offense, not less than $250 for a second offense in a calendar year, and not less than $500 for a third or subsequent offense in a calendar year.
    259:66 Muffler. – ""Muffler'' shall mean a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffleplates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gases and effectively reducing noise.
    HELP! What should I do? My muffler hasn't even been on the car a month yet!!!!

The tech at the dealer has called the state for help but the state hasn't called back and I am afraid they will think this is an exhaust cut out when this is not the case.

I specifically mentioned to everyone involved how the Supertrapp design has bellow disks which is what makes it legal per NH law. A normal straight threw glasspack would be 100% illegal here (as seen in the law above).

ShelbyDodgeImp Guest

By the way I should add I love the supertrapp muffler I put on my car, I noticed a real performance difference between it and my old setup.

I took time to polish the aluminum before I even had it installed, and the dealer even admits its the cleanest looking aftermarket installation they've ever seen in their careers here in NH... but that's not stopping them from giving me trouble.

I really don't want to have to go back to a stock muffler to get my car passed inspection here. I've already had to spend a grand making modifications to the car to get it to pass here (they didn't like my nonOEM but DOT approved lights on the front of the car and want me to add side fender blinkers off of a 90s Chrysler Imperial as well).
    Last edited by ShelbyDodgeImp; 01-23-2008 at 01:56 PM.

bschultz Guest

I would like to say I can help you. You would be better off having a Lawyer that has automotive knowledge. Rules/laws are made for the masses and do not always consider individual, different or unusual circumstances.