Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha XS650 - How many discs?

unclesol Guest

Default Yamaha XS650 - How many discs?

I'm just finishing up a street tracker version of a 1979 Yamaha XS650 twin, and I will be using the header pipes and collector from an old Hooker 2 into 1 system (already removed the pipes shown), and a universal can with 4" discs.
    The bike has 32mm Keihin flat-slide carbs and K&N filters.
    Wondering if you can point me in the right direction re: how many plates to start out at? Thanks for the help!

bschultz Guest

Not having the model of Universal or the inlet size (OD of the collector pipe) I would suggest starting with 8 discs and tune from there.

unclesol Guest

Sorry for that! It is a 12", with a 1.75" inlet. Thanks again!

unclesol Guest

Another quick question... First - the heads of the bolts had been cut off at some point to remove the end plate. I have replacements for these parts. However, as this is an old can, and I've just removed 15 discs from it to find that 2 of the bolts are now wobbling loose in the holes, my question is: have the bolts always threaded in to the body of the can, or were they "studs" coming out with nuts on the end holding the plate at some point?
    If they have always been bolts threading in, I'm guessing I will have to re-tap the holes, possibly to accept larger diameter bolts. Is this possible?
    Last edited by unclesol; 10-27-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp

bschultz Guest

The cores have always been threaded, to accept a screw, via a nut (tack welded or pressed). Access to the nut can be obtained after removing the core assembly as when servicing the packing.

unclesol Guest

So, if what's left of the screws is "wobbling around in the holes", but won't come out, I guess it's safe to assume that the nuts are no longer held in place. Even if I get the core out (this is an old can, and the metal parts were pretty badly corroded), I'm thinking it would be a royal pain to replace them securely somehow, as I don't have a welder handy. Any suggestions? If I can get the back side of the end plate clean enough, would any of the "metal glues" available now hold them securely enough?
    Thanks again...

bschultz Guest

There are some good epoxies out there; however you would need one that could handle the heat. Your best bet would to tack weld the nuts in place. Structurally 4 out of 6 screws should not be an issue, especially if the are not next to each other. Sometimes core assemblies can be destroyed trying to remove them if they are very old and/or never been serviced before.

unclesol Guest

Just got your tip re: Dennis Kirk, and I'm going shopping...
    Thanks for all your help!

bschultz Guest

Glad to be of assistance.

unclesol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by unclesol View Post
    Just got your tip re: Dennis Kirk, and I'm going shopping...
    Thanks for all your help!
    Unfortunately, they are out of stock, and their system says that you are as well?