Thread: swapping supermegs to nightstick so questions:

Default swapping supermegs to nightstick so questions:

supermegs have a couple of welds failed in the baffle.- need to get fixed and probably repack...in the meantime:

Neighbor has a no-longer used set of nightsticks I'd like to swap in.

what changes might I expect- from the different pipe/baffle construction.

I plan on swapping over the disc stack and endcaps which work on the supermegs.

2009 FLHTC, 96" stock no cat headers, hiflow air cleaner, xieds- no other drivetrain mods
    Supermegs run 15 right, 9 left. closed caps

Thanks, mike

bschultz Guest

Core construction is different between the Megaphone Series and SE NightStick's; however the core diameters are both 2" and should not require different disc counts.
    The '09 OEM headpipe is a 2:1:2 constuction and works well with running the same amount of discs on both sides.

thanks, opened the nightsticks up today and they look nice inside, longer core, I thought the nightstick core looks slightly smaller- I'll have to measure the megs when I take them off and swap disc stacks

interesting difference between the endcap and the closed course open endcap--

so nightstick comes from HD with 10 discs and slightly smaller endcap which I think is 90% the area of the closed course... to me that says factor of 19 which I think can flow more than the core.

wish i had a flow bench and knew how to use it, like to make some comparisons.

before the nightsticks go on, I'll be doing some idle tests with my dB meter, just to see the difference.

mike

bschultz Guest

Prime number?

ended up ( after a few trials) spraying a couple of the solid stainless end caps black and inserting between the disc stacks and the nightstick open caps--- I like that anodised black trim ring.

15 discs right, 9 discs left--- the crossover under the tranny is a "squish" pipe so flow is restricted-- at idle the difference is very noticible ( with no discs/caps) on the hands--- kinda hard to test at operating speeds

results seem good, the "open end cap" trials were too load for my taste as the 09 has no cat in the headers.

wondering why the baffles are not installed so that the top disc/ endcap screw is at the 12 o'clock position...

other wise I would have put on a set of snuf r nots, but they looked goofy at an angle.

sometime open them in a group so I don't get runned over, or on interstate runs for HP.

Mike

bschultz Guest

The screw positon should be at the 12 o'clock position.

yes, on both of these nightsticks, the baffle is slightly off, so the 12 and 6 are not in line with the mounting points on the top of the pipe.

so anything that would make obvious a vertical or horizontal line cannot be used, such as "supertrapp" logo end caps or the snuf r nots.

If the pipe's 2 mount holes for the baffle do not have a wiggle room to rotate the baffle to a 'correct" position

mike