Thread: Still need help FATSHOTS FLHTCI

racerxdan Guest

Unhappy Still need help FATSHOTS FLHTCI

02flhtci, 95 big bore, worked over heads, 21g andrews cams, power commander, ,with V&H slip 4" slash cut round slip ons. had dyno and custom mapping done, 80hp 90tq no back firing on decel with the custom mapping.
    Just installed a full sac dual exhaust got the popping back on the decel,

got a set of fatshots ST. tried them with the 12discs the amount that comes with the fatshots, way to quiet (sounded like the bike had asthma) got recommendation to try the open end caps or more discs, tried the racing cone shape end caps (had to buy these) tried with 8 discs, to loud, then 6, then 4, all still to loud, if I remove the discs and go with just the racing end cap what would be the point of the fatshots????

(I spent more money) got a 12 pack of discs, then went to 18 discs per side, still fairly quiet and have the understanding that anything more than 18 discs will flow more than the core??? and I would also have to buy longer screws?

No way did 6 or 4 discs with racing end caps come even close to sounding anything like the 18 discs with the closed end caps, the 18 and closed caps is a lot quieter (the racing end caps are supposed to be 10-12discs worth) ...Did I do something wrong????

I should have done a little more research to find out how many discs I may of
    needed, of course ST will be glad to sell you more discs or the racing end caps (cone shaped) and screws and the grease etc....so far very dissatisfied with the fatshots trying to find a happy medium? and sick of spending money.
    Any suggestions??? seriously thinking of pulling them and going with the V&H monster ovals.

bschultz Guest

The open end cap provides a street machine more sound/volume. Exhaust FLOW (not sound) with the open end cap will be equivalent to your set up with the closed end cap, minus 10-12 discs.

racerxdan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    The open end cap provides a street machine more sound/volume. Exhaust FLOW (not sound) with the open end cap will be equivalent to your set up with the closed end cap, minus 10-12 discs.
    Thank you for the quick reply, kinda of confused here. I understand the idea behind the racing cone shaped end cap flows diff so the sound is different? Where do I go from here? the 18 discs with the closed end cap is quieter than I would like, the racing end cap is to loud with 4 discs and just tried the racing cap alone, still to loud for my liking. trying to find a happy medium with out having to spend any more $ if possible. Not knocking ST,fit and finish is top quality just very confused and like I said I should have did a little more searching before hand. One more question, should they get so hot that you cant even touch the ends? no matter the configuration open/closed get really hot. I disconnected the power commander thinking it might be from the custom mapping, went back to the stock ecm with stage 2 download, still hot as heck. power and torque seem fine, seat of the pants

bschultz Guest

I don't think I have ever experienced the end of a muffler not feeling hot to the touch after running/shutdown.
    Sound is like art...it's in the eye of the beholder; however in the case of sound it is in the "ear of the listener". For most riders the open end cap is good source of extra sound and the feedback we receive is positive and what they were looking for.
    Your modifications and pipe combination are unique and it seems you have tried the full gamut of disc and end cap combinations. Unfortunately we do NOT have any additional recommendations and/or suggestions to get you where you want to be with your sound level.