Thread: Yamaha 1980 xs 850 Special (SG)

chicorugger Guest

Default Yamaha 1980 xs 850 Special (SG)

1. do you make a supertrap/kerker for this bike?

2. is there a universal muffler for 750-900cc's that would work?

3. what would be the negative effects of a straight through exhaust (no muffler)?

4. would the straight through exhaust be worse than a muffler "NOT designed for that application"

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chicorugger View Post
    1. do you make a supertrap/kerker for this bike? No

2. is there a universal muffler for 750-900cc's that would work? The Megaphone, SuperLight Stainless and S/C Series would be good choices.

3. what would be the negative effects of a straight through exhaust (no muffler)? Lack of back pressure would cause lean running condition. Even if adequate fuel is delivered, low end torque would most likely be nill.

4. would the straight through exhaust be worse than a muffler "NOT designed for that application"
    Yes, unless properly tuned for a narrow power band situation, such as a race application.

chicorugger Guest

"The Megaphone, SuperLight Stainless and S/C Series would be good choices.”

Since you guys are the pro's I'll accept all suggestions.

Is there a good, better, best break-down for this bike and those three models???

Thanks in advance. I don't like the sound of a lean condition.

bschultz Guest

The style "look" you like is going to play the deciding factor. The Universals I have sugested are of similar construction and flow characteristics. You will be able to control the exhaust flow, "tune", by adding or removing discs to maximize your bikes combination.

chicorugger Guest

ok, last question, I have this megaphone exhaust tip with nothing in it, is there a product you offer that would fit into the exsisting (non-muffling) muffler?

bschultz Guest

We do offer replacement component parts (core assemblies) for our mufflers. Do we have a generic core assembly to adapt to any muffler body? No.

chicorugger Guest

looks like that wasn't my last question, thank you for your patience.

after an exhaustive and painfully thorough search of the internet I found a link to this website and using information found there identified the aftermarket exhaust on my 850 as a Kerker.

http://www.biker.net/exhaust/motad.html

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    We do offer replacement component parts (core assemblies) for our mufflers.
    All I need now is a replacement core for this muffler, what do you think?
    Last edited by chicorugger; 04-02-2008 at 12:11 AM.

bschultz Guest

This system is not in any of our records or "old, old" catalogs. I'm still researching; however you may want to contact our customer service department with any typ of P/N on the pipe and measurments of the megaphone for possible component matching.

chicorugger Guest

so I ordered a muffler that was not in any of your catalouges from a plesant lady who walked me through what I would need.

I'll check the sales slip to see what the model ID is.

Turns out the muffler body most resembls a "winning preformance" muffler I saw here:

http://www.biker.net/triple/building...horsepower.htm

It was just the header pipes that matched what has been termed the "old kerker" exhaust.

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know then I get it installed.

I guess I am going to graduate to a new topic "instalation"