Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where to start.

bschultz Guest

It doesn't matter how many discs are attached, if there is not an end-cap (open or closed) installed. Even if you are running an "open" end-cap 18 discs on a 3" internal disc slip-on is excessive and you are "flowing the core". If your bike is not running lean then the previous owner most likely tuned the bike, via fuel management as done with most conventional pipes.
    Tuning with the discs will be trial & error at this point.
    Start tuning by installing the closed end-caps and reducing the number of discs to 50-75% on the left , ie...18 on right & 9-12 on the left. Take it for a test ride, see how she runs.

HappyHenk Guest

Hi Bruce,
    just came back from a testdrive with on both side 18 discs & endcap,
    so far I can tell there is a hugh difference as before in all gears it runs smoothly and the engine is shaking less, went to a harleyshop over here and also an accuaintance of mine and told him the story and let him hear the engine he was very surprised and he told me it was running ok.
    Shall i also try what you proposed? If there's a difference i want to know
    Thanks
    Henk

bschultz Guest

You can try removing some discs to see the effect; however if it's running good ... go ride.

HappyHenk Guest

Hi Bruce, just to be sure, if you mean left side is this the side looking from standing behind the bike or from the frontside looking.
    went today on the bike for the first time since friday and i felt that the engine was pretty shaking is this because it now has the backpressure, as it hasn't before without the endcaps? I must say when i came home friday i had to put my gastank on the reserve ysterday putted som gas into the tank and today went for my work on the bike when came onto a trafficlight and put the throttle in idlestand it was running low(500rpm) and later today when i went home the throttle was stuck in idlestand on 1500 rpm.
    Strange but i think it has to do with the fact that i was running friday for 1 mile on it's reserve, maybe some dirt in the carb, I hope.
    Grtz Henk

bschultz Guest

Left or right as when sitting on the bike.
    Back pressure on the exhaust normally does not cause shaking.

HappyHenk Guest

Hi Bruce,
    just tried your advice, 10 discs on the left and 18 on the right side went for a drive with the lady but i found that in the high end (into it's 4th gear) it takes a long time to reach 30/3500rpm to shift over, is this due to the changes i've made, once again it's a 2into2 crossover exhaust.
    Thanks in advance
    Henk

bschultz Guest

If the number of discs were the only changes and it didn't have 3-3500 rpm issue before, then I would say yes. If it ran better before then go back to the way you had it (or try a compromise between the two).