Thread: FatShots...Use Stock Pipes, or Change to True Duals?

R. M. Guest

Thumbs down FatShots...Use Stock Pipes, or Change to True Duals?

On my 1998 Road King, my current configuration is Screamin' Eagle air cleaner and breather, SE-3 cam, high flow fuel injectors, Stage II ECM calibration, and a Thunderheader 2 into 1 exhaust. I would like to replace the Thunderheader with a FatShots 2 into 2 system, maintain my current level of overall satisfactory performance, but reduce my exhaust noise. Should I re-use the stock exhaust with the crossover, or purchase true dual header pipes. If I re-use the stock pipes, how many discs should I start with on the right side, and how many discs on the left side. Same question for the true dual header pipes. During dial-in, do you anticipate that I will be adding discs, or removing them, or both. Any other suggestions are welcome.

bschultz Guest

The 2:1 is your best performance option. Going back to a stock head pipe is your best option. It's basically a performance compromise between the 2:1 and "true duals" and will result in the lowest overall sound levels and performance loss. The Supertrapp FatShots come with 12 discs per muffler. With your combination, I would suggest starting out with 12-14 discs on the right (if needed, stealing from the left, and not dropping below 8).

R. M. Guest

Thumbs up

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll start with 14 discs on the right side and 10 on the left side.