Thread: Supermeg 2:1 Open End Caps FLHT

flhtwoods Guest

Talking Supermeg 2:1 Open End Caps FLHT

I just ordered the open end caps for my 2:1 supermeg. I have a 2000 FLHT, 95" big bore, big sucker breather, and Andrews 26G cams. I am a lover of low end torque and throttle response at 3000rpm. How may discs should I use with the open end cap?

bschultz Guest

How's it running now and how many discs are you running with the closed end cap.

Quote Originally Posted by flhtwoods View Post
    I just ordered the open end caps for my 2:1 supermeg. I have a 2000 FLHT, 95" big bore, big sucker breather, and Andrews 26G cams. I am a lover of low end torque and throttle response at 3000rpm. How may discs should I use with the open end cap?
    I had that same build on an 04 flht and 9 discs with open end cap romped and sounded very nice. That set up got about 100ft/lbs of torq on Latus motors dyno and started right off the bottom.

flhtwoods Guest

Well... I was trying not to bias the recommendation by mentioning that the bike has been running very well (seat of the pants) with 16 discs and the closed end cap By that fact, I know I should reduce the number of discs by 10-12 when going to the open cap.

To my surprise, the open cap arrived this afternoon and I immediately tested it with 5 discs. Runs and sounds incredible (it's 25 degrees and the snow/ice has barely cleared from the roads)! I imagine I really need to get on a dyno to check air/fuel and performance.

I noticed the discs I removed had a black coating -no sooty build up, but definitely black color. That may be telling me to add a few discs and move toward the 9 recommended by Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by flhtwoods View Post
    Well... I was trying not to bias the recommendation by mentioning that the bike has been running very well (seat of the pants) with 16 discs and the closed end cap By that fact, I know I should reduce the number of discs by 10-12 when going to the open cap.

To my surprise, the open cap arrived this afternoon and I immediately tested it with 5 discs. Runs and sounds incredible (it's 25 degrees and the snow/ice has barely cleared from the roads)! I imagine I really need to get on a dyno to check air/fuel and performance.

I noticed the discs I removed had a black coating -no sooty build up, but definitely black color. That may be telling me to add a few discs and move toward the 9 recommended by Jeff.
    I used 16 with closed and just about every combo under the sun. It is normal for the disc to get a little soot on them. my bike had perfect afr and still had it. cruise afr's were low 14's and wot was right at 13 to 1.

flhtwoods Guest

Jeff, thanks for the information! When I had 16 disks and the closed cap my mpg was 36-38. Considering the way I ride and the roads I use I've learned to be happy at 36-38 mpg. So, I should get the same mileage with 5 disks and open end. I'm guessing I'm a bit rich (13:1) (good for power) when I'm accellerating and I'm likely running a good afr (14:1) when cruising. I have a simple K&N afr monitor with a O2 sensor in the rear header that's telling me my afr is good. But, sometime this summer I want to visit a Dyno. I haven't been on a Dyno since adding the big bore kit about 2 years ago. I'm hoping I see torque and HP similar to your '04 FLHT.