Thread: KLX muffler to pipe joint

KLXrob Guest

Default KLX muffler to pipe joint

Greetings from Downunder.
    I recently purchased an IDS2 slip-on for my KLX650C and I am impressed with the quality of the hardware and the accompanying instructions, but I have run into a problem with installation. The connecting pipe is reluctant to slide all the way into the muffler and won't move further after about two centimetres progress. I don't want to force it and the only solution I can think of is to place a cut in the end of the pipe to help it collapse a bit.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KLXrob View Post
    Greetings from Downunder.
    I recently purchased an IDS2 slip-on for my KLX650C and I am impressed with the quality of the hardware and the accompanying instructions, but I have run into a problem with installation. The connecting pipe is reluctant to slide all the way into the muffler and won't move further after about two centimetres progress. I don't want to force it and the only solution I can think of is to place a cut in the end of the pipe to help it collapse a bit.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Two centimeters is about the length of the relief slots on the inlet of the core. Check to see if you have any burs at the slots preventing the pipe from sliding in further. If so, a small grinder or dremmel tool should do the trick.

KLXrob Guest

Thanks for the advice, it was spot on. Fifteen minutes with a hand file and a dab of the high-temp lube from the kit had the problem solved.
    This support forum is a great idea; reckon I'll be a regular visitor