Thread: Which one will work best??

J. Thompson #5150 Guest

Default Which one will work best??

Hi, I have an old Honda CL350 that I'm getting back together and I'm about to start on the exhaust. Currently it has a couple of small glass packs that look like something from JC Whitney, they barely pass as mufflers at all and they're extremely loud. Since I plan to take the bike to the local OHV parks I'm trying to reach that 96 dB mark and I also have to have a spark arrestor. I'm doing this on a very tight budget so I'm looking at the lowest cost possible, and I found these two options:

First, the 3" discs-only setup. I can't find much on these other than being approved by the Forestry Service. Does that mean they will meet the 96 dB requirement on their own? I plan to either use one for each pipe or fab up a 2-1 coupler and use a single one.

And second, I found this product on ebay:

It's listed as Supertrapp Kerker 550 and Smaller Engines 4M-3911, which I couldn't find in the catalog, so I'm guessing it's NOS. There were no dimensions listed but it seems like it just needs baffle material and a casing.

So which one would be the better one to use?

bschultz Guest

Your first pick, the 3" disc only unit will make the exhaust spark arrested; however due to the lack of muffler body w/packing the db level your trying to reach is highly unlikely.

The second option is a historical piece. Our computer goes way back and then we have some real old catalogs beyond that, unfortunately we have no records of this baffle/core, or what it fits. If you provide some dimensions, length & diameter, I may be able to match up a muffler body you could adapt to it.

Beyond that I might recommend looking at the 3M Steel DirtBike Universals.

J. Thompson #5150 Guest

The only information I was able to get is that the old part fits inside a Kerker exhaust for 550 and smaller engines. I'm tempted to just buy it and fab my own canister for it, but...

As far as the disc-only unit goes, how well do they work using the minimal amount of discs? I've heard a few sound clips, one was on a sport bike, and it didn't sound like it was much louder than a stock exhaust. The parks we ride at are miles from any homes so the rangers are more concerned with the exhaust having spark arrestors and that the sound is at a reasonable level, and that's if they're even there, which usually they're not unless there's a complaint. Their policy is more like "if it's quiet enough to ride through your own neighborhood without upsetting the neighbors or the police, it's probably quiet enough to ride here".
    Last edited by J. Thompson #5150; 08-12-2010 at 08:33 PM.

bschultz Guest

It would be an experiment, it may or may not put you at a sound level you (and everyone else) can live with.