Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quieting down a bit a XL1200 with Supermegs 2:1

Tiago Guest

Default Quieting down a bit a XL1200 with Supermegs 2:1

Hi

I have a Supermegs 2:1 exhaust on my HD XL1200N, and love the thing to bits. Deep tone, nice growl, great performance, but a bit over the top in loudness.

I need to cut back a few dB, what are my best options?

- Tiago

bschultz Guest

Are you running a SuperTrapp or Kerker?

Tiago Guest

Oops, forgot to mention it. It's a SuperTrapp.

bschultz Guest

Your first option is to reduce the number of discs. Are you running a closed or open end cap?

Tiago Guest

open end cap

bschultz Guest

In that case go back to the closed end cap first and add 10 discs to be at the same exhaust flow as you are know.

Tiago Guest

Right, now I'm perplexed. I had the exhaust installed at the dealer, and I was assuming it was running with the default parts, since all I was invoiced for was the kit, but no extra end cap.

Here's what it looks like right now:

So, what am I looking at over here? I see about 20 disks.

bschultz Guest

You are looking at a "WIDE OPEN" pipe. This set up is as free flowing and as loud as you can get. You have NO end cap, just the cosmetic trim ring with discs. Without an endcap, closed or open, the exhaust gases are NOT being forced through the discs. You may as well remove the discs, they are serving NO purpose.
    The system comes with 20 discs AND a "closed" end cap. Go back and ask your dealer to install the closed end cap that came with the system.
    The "open" end cap is an option, purchased in addition too or separately from the system.

Tiago Guest

It's pretty much as I feared then. I thought that open wide thing was the open end cap. I've already gave them a call and they'll be talking to the guys who installed it to see what they did to the end cap.

I'm now wondering if they made any remap of the FI, even though it seems to be running just about right. The intake is a SE Heavy Breather.

So, what do you recommend using with the closed end cap? Might as well educate myself and lean how to get it done. I've seen that in the instructions it states 18 disks + end cap, so is it ok for me to go with that?
    Last edited by Tiago; 05-25-2010 at 02:05 PM.

bschultz Guest

We would normally suggest you run 16-17 discs on a stock machine ; however if it's running good now, just put the closed end cap on with the discs you have on it and see how she performs.