Thread: How many discs, Hondal XL600V Transalp

scottdc Guest

Default How many discs, Hondal XL600V Transalp

I recently got a 1989 Xl600V transalp with a Supertrapp muffler, the old school one with the 4" discs. What is the minimum recommended discs for this bike? It came with 6 installed and seems to run ok other than being a bit on the loud side.

bschultz Guest

You may be able to remove one or to more; however don't be surprised if your top end suffers.
    Do you have any history/maintenance of the bike, specifically the muffler? Has it been serviced (repacked) recently?

scottdc Guest

Not much history, in fairly good shape when I got it but I'm sure it needs a repack, in fact my repacking material arrived today in the mail from Supertrapp so we'll see if that helps. I don't mind a bit loud on my other bikes but I tour on this bike and would prefer it a bit milder

scottdc Guest

Repack helped quite a bit. One more question though, the core is pretty rough and looks like it won't last much longer due to corrosion, are replacements available for this system still?

bschultz Guest

Even though the system is no longer offered, there should be a core used in our Universal mufflers that should be compatible.

scottdc Guest

Awesome, thanks!