Thread: 2002 Indian Scout

nightvision2 Guest

Default 2002 Indian Scout

Hello,
    I noticed the previous owner of my bike removed the end caps on my 2:2 exhaust...the exhaust is a 3" disc "performance core" and currently has 12 discs per muffler, but no end cap.
    I want to add end caps, but what will this do to my performance and sound? Do you reccomend the closed end caps? I'm sure I will have to adjust the fuel mixture, but what should I expect with overall performance and sound?
    88 CI S&S with a Super E carb & K&N air filter.

Thanks

The discs serve no purpose without an end-cap, you are "flowing" the core. A closed end cap will reduce sound and richen the A/F mixture which may cause a low-end torque increase; however may cause a loss of top end performance.

How do you know you have a "performance" core vs the OEM equipped core?

nightvision2 Guest

I believe this is a performance core due to discs already installed, and I can see all the way through the center of the core up to the bends on the pipes. Would the standard core have supertrapp discs bolted on the muffler? The diameter through the center is probably 1-1/2" give or take...

The OEM "quiet" core also uses discs; however there would be an obstruction, preventing the ability to look through the core all the way to the inlet.

nightvision2 Guest

Should I go with the open end caps if I would like louder?
    Thanks for all of your help!

Yes, the "open" end cap will provide more sound.