Thread: Fitting SuperTrapp universals to nonstandard pipe sizes - ZX-9R Ninja

Lightbulb Fitting SuperTrapp universals to nonstandard pipe sizes - ZX-9R Ninja

I'll start off showing the result. I started with a 2002 ZX-9r. The mid-pipe outlet is 2 3/8" OD. SuperTrapp does not make an exhaust specific to this model, only universals of fixed sizes. I purchased a SuperTrapp muffler with a 2 1/2" ID, so the fit was a little loose. The muffler is designed for crimping the inlet, as I've done previously, so this is an alternative to that method.

The first stop was to Autozone for a 4" length 2 1/2" OD x 2 1/2" ID muffler sleeve and Permatex 101BR Ultra Copper silicone gasket. I cut the sleeve ID off, keeping the remaining ~1 13/16" length OD cone (see below). Next I made two length cuts to that, taking out about 1/4" (a single cut would have worked as well), turning the cone into a "C" shaped sleeve. A metal file was used to smooth out any rough edges on the muffler internals, sleeve, and mid-pipe outlet.

Everything is ready for a snug assembly. Just need to take it down for the rear set bracket TIG welds. Permatex will be used during final assembly to seal any air gaps between the three pieces. Let dry for several hours.

APRIL 2010 ROTM WINNER - ZXForums.com
    Best forum quotes:
    1) [KZ550] - your bikes are just plain sexy.
    2) [KZ550] has by far the best conditioned zx9 I have seen........
    3) Yeah, he makes me jealous every time i see pics of his.
    I would let him drive mine for a day if i could just touch his with my index finger. lol.
    2002 SuperTrapp fitted ZX-9r

The bike as it looked with its stock scuba tank size muffler.

Step 1 of 10
    Unbolt chrome beauty ring and make cut right at the mid-pipe exit weld.

Step 2 of 10
    Not all hack saw cuts end up straight. I had to try about four different angles.

More below.
    Last edited by kz550; 05-17-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Step 3 of 10

Step 4 of 10

Step 5 of 10

Step 6 of 10
    I removed the burrs with the sleeve away from the bike. This picture is just an example of the tools and angles used.

Step 7 of 10

Step 8 of 10

Step 9 of 10

Step 10 of 10

Drill muffler retainer pin hole, slide over the end clamp and tighten. And just to repeat, apply aluminum rear-set bracket TIG welds, remove muffler one last time and seal all muffler joints with Permatex.

bschultz Guest

Nice work and play by play details.

Same as last time, the rear set bracket weld only cost $30. Same TIG welder, but a little different bracket weld configuration due to the distance the muffler is from this bike's rear-set.

BTW, it sounds like this "sleeve" method is fairly common knowledge to motorheads. I hope this thread can show others how easy it would be to fit one of your exhaust mufflers, even if you don't have a specific application...just like in my case.

05/05/10 update: Yup, just got done tuning the 2002 ZX-9R F1 tonight. The tune step for the 2000 E1 worked like a charm on the F. Almost all of my F's bad behavior is history. Set the pilot air screws at 1 1/2 turns, raised the jet needle 0.8mm, installed a SuperTrapp adjustable exhaust with 9 diffuser discs, oiled up the air filter, and synced the carbs...just like on the E.
    It's like a completely different bike. Civilized, a joy to ride, stumble is gone, awesome throttle response, and great power.

Actually I'd have been surprised if it didn't work! ...but doubly glad that it did. Next will be some mileage runs this weekend to see if the MPG improves like what I experienced with the E1.

05/08/10 update: So too has MPG, throttle response and power been improved over stock. MPG is up 5% - 17%, same as experienced on the E1. A win win win.

Here's to your continued success!

03/24/13 update: With the help of my SuperTrapp, for it's ability to keep my air-to-fuel ratio spot-on, this bike returned a 54.6 miles per gallon after a little internal cleaning. That is its highest result to date and throttle response is better than it was! Wasn't being nice on the throttle either.

On my older ZX-9R, it is capable of 56 - 57 MPG on a good day, so my newer bike is getting closer as I get it tuned more towards optimal.

This is what keeps me in love with these machines. The better they run, the more powerful they are, the better the throttle response, the better the MPG numbers.

GSXR-600 750 1000 R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 ZX9 ZX-9R ZX9R ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG, miles per gallon horsepower torque dyno top speed best exhaust
    GSXR-600 750 1000 R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 ZX9 ZX10 ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG, miles per gallon horse power better throttle response
    Last edited by kz550; 11-24-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Miles Per Gallon Update