Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nightstick questions

black_2010 Guest

Default nightstick questions

i just bought a used screamin eagle nightstick and have a couple of questions:

bike is a 2010 hd road glide custom. using stock headpipes.

first, the part number stamped in the epa certification is 80873-10. this number is nowhere to be found on the hd website. is it a good number? hd is showing 80881-10 as the number.

second: installation was easy. too easy. it seemed like the inlet on the muffler was too big for the headpipe. when i first put it on, i tightened the torca clamp down tight and started up the bike and had an exhaust leak. so i shut the bike down, torqued the @#$@# out of it and proceeded to snap the bolt. good thing i had another torca clamp! i pulled the muffler off, smeared a liberal coating of rtv inside then fastened it all back together and torqued the torca clamp to its proper 45-60 ft/lbs. havent' started it up yet as i'm allowing time for the rtv to cure.

it doesn't say anywhere in the screamin eagle instructions that you would need rtv anywhere.

whats the deal here? and do you think the rtv solution is gonna work or should i do something else?
    Last edited by black_2010; 04-08-2010 at 07:28 PM.

bschultz Guest

P/N 80881-10 is the NightStick "kit" P/N, where P/N 80873-10 is the muffler body(component) P/N of that "kit".
    Factory tolerances are such that no gasket material (RTV silicone) should be needed.
    What may have happened; when the muffler was removed from the previous install, the inlet may have slightly expanded from "wiggling" it off the headpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    P/N 80881-10 is the NightStick "kit" P/N, where P/N 80873-10 is the muffler body(component) P/N of that "kit".
    Factory tolerances are such that no gasket material (RTV silicone) should be needed.
    What may have happened; when the muffler was removed from the previous install, the inlet may have slightly expanded from "wiggling" it off the headpipe.
    Not sure what "kit" refers to, unless the HD "kit" includes muffler clamps (although the website states they have to be purchased separately). If I were to purchase the 80873-10, would that be the correct muffler for my 2010 Road Glide Custom? I also found one at a reasonable price.

bschultz Guest

Yes, it is for the 2010 single "OEM" right side exhaust models.

Yes, it is for the 2010 single "OEM" right side exhaust models.
    Thanks ... one more question. I've heard issues with "bluing" of the muffler. I'm assuming it's a tuning issue. If I put one on and apply an HD download, should that alleviate that issue, or is there something else I should do?

bschultz Guest

That is a question your Harley Dealer should be answering.

That is a question your Harley Dealer should be answering.
    They haven't been much help ... odd, when I bought my last bike they were making recommendations left and right on what I should buy and how it needed to be tuned. I've asked on this bike and get no answers.

bschultz Guest

The SE NightStick is a product we manufacture exclusively for HD per their specs.

Quote Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Thanks ... one more question. I've heard issues with "bluing" of the muffler. I'm assuming it's a tuning issue. If I put one on and apply an HD download, should that alleviate that issue, or is there something else I should do?
    HD download should be 009FY002 if 96" or 009FZ002 if 103 and everything else is stock. This is for slip ons and SE air cleaner only.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    HD download should be 009FY002 if 96" or 009FZ002 if 103 and everything else is stock. This is for slip ons and SE air cleaner only.
    Should that take care of any blueing issues? The dealership, of course, wants me to buy their tuner and put it on the dyno. That seems a little overkill for a slip on and an a/c swap.