Thread: 06 Road Glide with Supermegs, how many discs?

buddyrm Guest

Default 06 Road Glide with Supermegs, how many discs?

Hello,

I have an 06 Road Glide with a K&N high flow air cleaner and Power Commander with an upgraded map. heads and cam are stock. I just received my SuperMeg slipons and wanted to know how many discs should I install for this setup? Left and Right number of discs looking at the bike from behind. I have stock header pipes.

Thanks

PS: I also posted this in the installation section by error. Sorry about that.

bschultz Guest

Start "tuning" with the 12 discs (each) supplied with the slip-ons. If your top end seems to be lacking, start pulling discs from the left (2 at a time) and adding them to the right. If your botom end is suffering, remove (2 at a time) discs until you get it back.
    Don't forget to use the copper colored lubricant (anti seize) on the screw threads.

buddyrm Guest

Thanks but should there not be a difference on the number of discs between left and right since 60-70% of the flow is through the right hand muffler? I just find it strange to have the same number of discs on both side. Just curious why to start with equal number of discs.

I always seen different numbers on left and right. Unless of course you have true true duals.

bschultz Guest

Primary tuning is done with the right side (stealing from the left to add to the right...if needed). Don't fall below 6-8 on the left and a 2:1 ratio is a good guideline... 14 on the right-7 on the left.

buddyrm Guest

So are you saying that the 7 and 14 disc setup is the usual for this type of Harley setup on an 88 CU? Just trying to save a few steps and get as close as possible to the final normal setup instead of starting at 12 - 12 and working to 7-14. Thanks for the help by the way, it's appreciated.

buddyrm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrm View Post
    So are you saying that the 7 and 14 disc setup is the usual for this type of Harley setup on an 88 CU? Just trying to save a few steps and get as close as possible to the final normal setup instead of starting at 12 - 12 and working to 7-14. Thanks for the help by the way, it's appreciated.
    just incase you missed the above question bshultz.

bschultz Guest

No, that was just an example of the 2:1 ratio.

buddyrm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bschultz View Post
    No, that was just an example of the 2:1 ratio.
    OK but with your experience in this type of motorcycle and stock setup, what should I start out with. 12 - 12 seems to much, what would you recommend I start off with on the left and right to get it pretty close. based on all the experience from previous customers.

bschultz Guest

If you were "bone" stock, I would suggest 8-10 on the right and 7-8 on the left; however you mentioned an upgraded map, which indicates "more" fuel.
    The beauty of the disc assembley is the ability to "tweek" the exhaust flow to your intake combination. On a carburated or "open loop" FI machine, if it's running to rich you can add discs to lean it out. If it's running to lean you can remove discs to richen it up.