Thread: XR-style 2 into 2 heat shield? (815-71202)

Chris300s Guest

Default XR-style 2 into 2 heat shield? (815-71202)

I just installed the 815-71202 on my '06 Roadster with rearset pegs. Sounds awesome and looks great. However, they are hot as hell and I can't fgure out how I'm going to ride it without heat shields. I don't think that Supertrapp makes a set, does anyone else? Suggestions? Anyone tried a set of these?

Thanks,
    Chris

bschultz Guest

You're correct, we do not offer a set for the XR-style pipes. You look like you have found a good option. Most universal type shields that I have seen are solid (no louvers/holes) and around 7" long.
    Last edited by bschultz; 02-26-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Chris300s Guest

Default Sportster 2 into 2

I ended up using two of the heat shields shown above and they work well. Just enough to create an airspace between my leg and the can.
    5-14 Sporty.jpg
    After 1000 miles I developed a crack in the rear header pipe right at the O2 bung.
    Pipe failure.jpg
    I was able to get the pipe welded up and get back on the road but I'm pretty confident that it'll fail again as the tubing is very thin and on a blubbermount it shakes all over. Carefull attention must be paid when intalling then that they're not under any stress when you tighten everything up.
    Pipe repair.jpg
    Customer service was very responsive and a replacement should be on its way soon. Hopefully it's a little heavier at the bends.

Chris