Thread: '78 CB750 4-1 Megaphone

dwaggs08 Guest

Default '78 CB750 4-1 Megaphone

I bought a 1978 Honda cb750 last spring. It looks like someone put in some good money into this rig. It has a Kerker 4-1 meg system, w/ black headers into chrome muffler. The guy i bought it from told me there are 3 different baffles for it and the one in it is the "quietest". This fall the screw rusted out and i lost my baffle somewhere along the way. I have no idea which one to replace it with, or even what system it is exactly. Is there a system with interchangable baffles as that guy explained to me? and what would "quietest" mean?

Thanks all!

bschultz Guest

To better assist you please provide the P/N or a single letter stamped to the back of the welded on bracket of the megaphone. It should be something like 6155 or D.

dwaggs08 Guest

you are correct, it's "D".

bschultz Guest

You have 4 Kerker replacement baffle options;
    100-6351, 1.5" Standard (came with the system)
    100-6387, 1.5" Competition
    100-6356, 2.0" "
    100-6357, 2.5" "

dwaggs08 Guest

Which one would be the "quietest"?....and...would any of them work without messing with the jetting? I love the performance i had prior to losing the baffle.

Thanks for all your help.

bschultz Guest

The 1.5" Standard will be the "quietest" and will perform well with stock jetting.

dwaggs08 Guest

I bought the baffle you suggested, now my carbs are flooding and dumping out the overflow. Could this be the wrong baffle...or a seperate carb issue?

bschultz Guest

You didn't mention performance or when this occurs. If the bike has been setting you may want to check the float valve needles. If they are not seating properly they may not be regulating the fuel supply as needed. Leaky floats can also be a culprit.
    If the baffle that you lost was one of the competition baffles and the carbs were jetted to that baffle you could be running rich; however flooding and fuel dumping fuel would be extreme.